Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-Jan-2004, 17:00
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Non starter

Just tried to fire up the bikes after sitting in my garage for a month-unused and unloved.
The 916 started first time off the button as it always has(forgot how loud it was),the ss was a different matter though,the starter turns and the odd backfire told me that fuel is getting through,it even grumbled a bit as though it was about to start but came to nothing,I tried with and without choke.
I cant believe its the petrol after only a month, the other bikes started without too much effort.
Anyone have any ideas what to do next? or had the same problem,the spark plugs are new but I might as well check them next.
D.
Old 27-Jan-2004, 06:28
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
What model is it?
If it is a carbed model they are notoriously dificult to start in cold weather.
Old 27-Jan-2004, 08:24
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Could be petrol after just a month. If there wasn't a lot in the tank to start with it would have lots of air to help it go stale. I've got a Montessa trials bike that's carbed and it doesn't like starting on petrol that age. It's a pretty crude old nail with magneto ignition so it's a marginal starter in cold weather anyway (just like the SS's according to Keefyboy) so it might not take much to be the straw that broke the camels back.
Old 27-Jan-2004, 09:45
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Its a carbed 97 model,strangely, knowing they are difficult to start in the cold almost reassures me its not too serious a problem
Also had a look inside the tank,from the odometer I'd say Ive done 40 miles out of a full tank,the fuel level just covers the pipe visible beneath the cap.
Is there anything I can do(other than to drain all the fuel-something I've never had to do),perhaps an additive to the petrol to kick start it,basically something that a techno-moron like me could easily do to help get it going.
If a month is too long I'll take this as a lesson and turn it over more often.
Old 27-Jan-2004, 13:49
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

It's possible that the fuel remaining in the float bowls evaporated and left a gum which is blocking the pilot or starter jets. Unleaded is very bad for this apparently.
I always drain the float bowls when I lay the bike up for the winter just in case.
Old 27-Jan-2004, 17:57
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
fuel has a shelf life of 6 weeks after which it will gum up your injectors/carbs (delete as needed)