Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
Closed Thread

Old 03-May-2005, 19:11
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
U can hardly call dave Riley a novice Monty or Andrew johnson...

Im sure i have the wrong perspective on this monty but you always fall on the side of the JHP Simga " known " riders side.?!?!?!........there should be no sides in this..

The issue is not about the standard 620 its about the BIG BORED 620 that we all voted against....

im so tired of all this bullsh*it and for me and others its detracting from what was gonna be a top series.........

Phil

[Edited on 3-5-2005 by fil2]

Fil sorry to disagree, but Dave Riley is a novice-he did 2 races last year and I'm not sure if he finished either of them-I know he fell in one-that's it, the sum total of his racing experience.

We are listening to you guys, watch this space for a posting very soon.
Fil, you and I have been on track a few times and you are a dam quick rider, you and Ali did yourselves proud and beat lots of 620's-so you for one don't need the 620's to be limited. In no form of racing is everyone equal, someone will always have deeper pockets. The CB500's is about the most equal I can think of-but even there the top guys will put a new tyre on before every race-sorry mate but it is inevitable.
Andrew Johnson I quite agree with you is a very fast and experienced racer-but I believe he is only doing the one round so isn't really a problem-does show what can be done with a standard 583 though doesn't it?

John
Old 03-May-2005, 19:17
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
i just think everyone is getting all het up over very little.

this series is in its first year and has just had its first meeting,
as said on another post, the MT, the riders, and the club as a whole has done a superb job in getting this going.

at the weekend it was the best supported series, with the closest racing, with the best spectators. entries ranging from quite literally converted road bikes to specially prepped race bikes. it was a HUGE success. lets not lose our perspective here.

come the end of the season there may need to be some changes, fine lets look at them and discuss them then. but lets not spoil what, after just one meeting has been one hell of an addition to the club racing scene.

everyone inthe club should be immensely proud.

Amen to that.

Something that you may all be interested in.

"Dear All,

Following what was by all accounts a hugely successful weekend, I just wanted to congratulate you & everyone else involved with series. You deserve a lot of credit for the effort you have put in and the Club should be very proud of what has been achieved so far.

Speak soon,

Kind regards

Pete

Peter Brooking
Manager, Marketing & After Sales
Ducati UK Ltd."

John
Old 03-May-2005, 19:45
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
sorry i dont.

if people are that bothered about winning trophies rather than having fun then they should have got a better bike to start with. i dont know much about bike tuning but it seems fairly obvious to me that if you want to get the best performance you start at the highest level possiible ie a 620.

to use cash as an excuse is i think poor.

if anyone wanted to borrow a grand to get a better bike it would cost them 20 odd quid a month. big deal. one and a bit less beers a week.

NO YOU DON'T YOU BUY A 620 AND YOU BIG BORE IT ?
AND YOU DIS A GENTELMEN'S AGREEMENT

What we have hear is one bike that being a 620 already has a least a slight advantage over a 583 or 583bigbore, that is enlarging that gap further. I just can’t see why.
I watched Geoff ride and to be honest he would put up a good show on a Raleigh Wisp, but that is not the point. The point is he or anyone else should be on a 620 or a 583/583bigbor as per the gentlemen’s agreement. Is that clear?

PS
Flat slides ban them too on the 583 bigbore if you think they will gain too much of an advantage over the 620s

DAD…….R a level playing field everyone happy no cash spent just as the doctor ordered

Old 03-May-2005, 20:13
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
For what it's worth,

I don't care much for the theory offered on this by anyone, even the experts... here's what REALLY happend:
I had a direct comparison in both races between my bog standard (+pipes) m620, Andy's bog standard (+pipes) 583 and Phil's 674.
I was gaining about 3 bike lengths down the straight on andy, and (so I was told by a spectator) about 3 bike lengths on Phil.
To quote Ali: "To give you an idea that has the equivalent effect on power/weight as removing 22kg from the bike!"
I'll bet I'm at least 30kg's lighter than both Andy and Phil, so does this mean my 620 is actually slower and my advantage was in body weight rather than engine power?

I'll bet that if you put 2 of any supposedly identical bikes in a drag race, one will out-class the other in a straight line. The rules on this capacity issue are as fair as they could hope to be, but it might be prudent to look into what advantage a bored 620 might ACTUALLY give - when things are as close as they are, I think it's more a case of how the power is delivered rather than what the biggest number on the dyno says.

If the rules were to change to addres this single issue, then what disadvantage shall we discuss next? Shall I eat more pies??
Was it Phil's pukka Ohlins shock that made him quicker through Halls than my standard setup? If so, shall we make Phil chuck his shock in the bin because I can't afford one??
I was able to outbrake Andy into turn one while approacing it with more speed, but this was because I'd spent a few quid getting a pukke brake setup and my braking point was at least 5m further than his. So would anyone like me to revert back to single disc, standard m/c and lever?

(Phil... I don't know what rear shock you've got, I'm just throwing the idea in as an example)

My opinion is leave it alone.
Old 03-May-2005, 22:40
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
The cheapest 620 I saw (being a much newer model) was in the £3500 region.

Where were you looking for 620's then ??? At least one on the grid was considerably cheaper than that !!
Old 03-May-2005, 22:41
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Mine ?
£2400 for my 620 Sport, with a lot of spare parts...
Old 03-May-2005, 22:50
500SD

Make that at least 2 then !!
Old 03-May-2005, 22:54
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Mine was £2550
Old 03-May-2005, 22:54
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler

FWIW - I paid £2500 for my 620 and all in all have kept the costs below £4K (so far).

Tim

......... does that include me?
Old 03-May-2005, 22:58
500SD

OK, now we have 5 ....
Closed Thread