Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 27-May-2004, 09:32
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Double white line question

Sorry if this has been asked before. I ran a search but didn't come up with the answer ...

On a single-carriageway where double-white lines are present, is it legal to overtake a vehicle as long as you do not cross the white lines?

I have had two sets of advice on this - a traffic officer on TV said he would consider it to be an offence but a bike mag (not one I consider reliable from a legal advice standpoint) said it was OK.

Anyone here have any experience of, or advice on, such matters? Thanks.
Old 27-May-2004, 09:47
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
there are others better qualified than myself on here to answer this but as far as im concerned you can overtake so long as you dont cross them.
Old 27-May-2004, 10:21
Mille

Mood: .
Taken from the highway code online -

Rule 141 You MUST NOT overtake

* if you would have to cross or straddle double white lines with a solid line nearest to you (but see Rule 108)
* if you would have to enter an area designed to divide traffic, if it is surrounded by a solid white line

Rul 108 - Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10mph or less.
Old 27-May-2004, 10:38
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Agree with Dickie and the previous post.

However, there is an obvious safety issue as well. Double white lines are usually there for a good reason...restricted vision, possible hidden junction etc. etc

or the good reason as far as we are concerned - Tight bends

Personally - I dont think I'd be considering going between a car and a white line, the driver wont be expecting it and if any on coming car/vehicle is off line the consequences for a motorcyclist could be severe.

Ride safe (but fast ) Frank
Old 27-May-2004, 10:45
500SD

Hi Loz

As a general rule, the more white paint you find on the road the more hazardous that particular stretch is considered to be. Double white lines do not mean 'no overtaking'. They are used in this respect, but only in order to separate opposing traffic flow where to overtake would probably be dangerous. The Driving Manual (DSA's Bible) says "You must not cross or straddle the white line". Were you to overtake another bike - for instance - whilst remaining well to 'your' side of the road (ie not cause a hazard to oncoming vehicles) then you've done nothing wrong. In the eyes of the law though, 'whether you've caused a hazard' would be open to interpretation.

Steve (ADI)
Old 27-May-2004, 23:59
Big Twin

Thanks Steve and everyone else for their comments and advice, and for their legal interpretation of this matter.

Cheers!
Old 28-May-2004, 11:23
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Isn't there an update on this in force or in planning?

Something about you can cross a solid white line if the vehicle you are overtaking is going very slow, e.g. pedal cycle??

You can also cross em when turning right!

if you do get spotted on the wrong side of a solid white by the fedrale then an instant right turn into the nearest hedge or field might get you off the hook!!

Ray
Old 28-May-2004, 14:25
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray
Something about you can cross a solid white line if the vehicle you are overtaking is going very slow, e.g. pedal cycle??

You can also cross em when turning right!

S'already there mate, if passing a slow moving vehicle (not granny in her Morry Traveller) such as a road maintenance vehicle or to turn right into a side turning/entrance.

Topic discussed (quite hotly) recently by local "griptwisting smokies" is crossing solid white lines on approach to a level crossing with the gates down
Old 28-May-2004, 19:42
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Im wondering why you ask?
Old 29-May-2004, 11:25
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Im wondering why you ask?

I like to know things!

Seriously, there are times when this question is relevant to me. There are roads in my area where the lane is quite wide, so that there is quite a distance between the centre double-line and the position most cars take. If I am in an area controlled by double-whites, perhaps approaching a gentle left-hander, with a line of slow moving traffic present, it can be relatively safe (in my non-professional opinion) to over-take the slowly moving traffic whilst staying on "my side" of the road, as long as I can get a good view of traffic on both sides of the road. I'm not suggesting it is perfectly safe to do this, merely that it is not unacceptably dangerous if you are being observant and mindful of your relative speed and reaction times. My question was really to determine the legalities of the situation.

I learned the hard way (not long after I passed my test) that it is inadvisable to overtake at speed on a corner, no matter how wide your lane is. On a particular left-hander, the BMW car I was trying to overtake drifted out to the centre with me alongside. I was forced onto the double-whites and completed the over-take whilst tank-slapping on the catseyes. My stupid fault, and a perfect object lesson in learning to anticipate hazards. I look back at that incident now with a great deal of embarrassment (and relief that it didn't end badly).
Mind you, I did discover that you can stop tank-slappers once they've started by opening the throttle to the stop, leaning back and praying.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit