Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Mar-2005, 14:41

Sprocket worth changing?

Picked up my new '05 999 mono a couple of weeks ago and unfortunately I now can't ride it for the next few weeks. Booked the first service for the middle of April thinking that with work/weather and other committments it would take me about 6 weeks to get the mileage up on it. Untypical weather and Easter resulted in the bike sitting with 800 miles on it and me pleading with the dealer to bring the service forward. They have done but only to the end of next week.

The bike is from Pro Twins, and I am getting the hugger fitted, the hugger ordered at the same time as the bike but the bike came through two weeks before the hugger did, and the Pro Twins throttle modification done at the first service.

I have been running the bike in to the letter and spirit of the rules...it has not been over 6000 rpm yet..and the first service only extends that to 7000 rpm for another 600 miles..DOH. However my feeling so far is that the gearing of the 2005 999 is rather high.

So to get to the point...at last I hear you all cry...is it a common and/or recommended modification on 999's to perhaps change the front sprocket to one tooth smaller or the rear to go up a couple of teeth? I don't want to make any major change, but the feeling is that first is reasonably high still and I have had to slip the clutch around town more than is perhaps ideal.

It could be that the engine is still losening up and things will improve with mileage...but what are the thoughts on a sprocket change..worth it? If so I might mention it to the dealer and get the change done at the same time as the first service if they can fit it in.
Old 29-Mar-2005, 14:57
Dibble

most people slap a 14T sprocket on.
Old 29-Mar-2005, 15:15
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
nice icon.............................

oh yes and 1 down at the front is definitely worth doing , 1 up at the back at the same time works even better
Old 29-Mar-2005, 15:36
Mille

this is worth a look

follow ye olde link.....
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:20
500SD

I decided against a 14T front. To quote the great Shazaam!
Quote:
Starting with the higher torque 916-series (and 749R), and continuing with the 996, 998 and 999, the factory shifts to a 15-tooth front sprocket and a 525 chain. Why? Because more torque means more chain tension and a 15-tooth front sprocket lowers the tension in the chain by seven percent. A 525 chain has a tensile strength that’s ten percent higher. So you get an overall 17 percent stronger setup.

I settled on 15/40 in the end which seems about purfec to me. Much easier round town and pulling away without over reving down the motorway.

(of course you will have to take care accelerating out of tight corners)
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:21
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Rally

Poor basteward!
Old 29-Mar-2005, 17:24
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by Rally

mate .. hope all will be well ... good to see you back on the site ....
Old 29-Mar-2005, 18:49
Mille

I have just put a 14t on the front worth 3 on the back i understand.The effect is good much sharper on take off and easier to ride slow.I would say it was the best performance mod i have made and only cost £22.
Hope this helps
Old 29-Mar-2005, 20:43
Montjuic

Gone up 2 on rear as 749 is already 14 on front, Makes town riding easier, plus far more pull right through gears with very little change to top end.
Don't know if you need it on a 999 though.
Old 29-Mar-2005, 21:33

Quote:
Originally posted by 749sime
Gone up 2 on rear as 749 is already 14 on front, Makes town riding easier, plus far more pull right through gears with very little change to top end.
Don't know if you need it on a 999 though.

did your std chain still fit or did you need a new one with the bigger rear sprocket?