Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 14-Aug-2006, 10:28
500SD

Mood: 900 went 999 gone, Multi came and went, 749 Nero now
just did a quick search and Henners was talking about a 750
Old 14-Aug-2006, 11:06
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Ive had some experience on the 1000 - my thoughts ?

- Extremely uncomfortable (i'm 6'1 and it was on the point of unbearable after 50 miles!!)
- Absolutely stunning performance/torque (wheelies in 3rd over crests in the road anyone ??!)
- Not sure on reliability of the thou but my mates got a 750 and its shocking - bits are always falling off, batteries exploded etc. Hes had enough and hes going back to the rice burners !!!
- Dealer back up as at best indifferent. Parts can take an age to come through (I know a guy who sold his F4 purely because the dealer was waiting 2 months for an oil filter when it was in for a service and wouldnt let him ride his bike any longer as the warranty would be invalidated due to itv going over mileage ??!!)

Although they do look absolutely fantastic, they just dont have the kudos of a ducati do they ? (although ironically their track pedigree is as good if not better!). I've been out with my mate on his MV and joe public always tend to be attracted to the ducati badge !!!
Old 14-Aug-2006, 12:21
500SD

There's an issue with the fuel injection on the 1000 too. Many posters on the MV sites have complained about it. Not short on power though. Henners told me he grew tired of wringing the 750's neck to keep up a quick pace. (..although there's always the more powerful SPS).

Nat - I've always fancied an MV, and have once or twice come close to buying an old mid-seventies model. To me, these are the only MVs with any real race pedigree. IMHO the new Cagiva bikes are badge-engineered. As impressive as they might look, or be, they've no history or race success behind them. They're really just basking in reflected glory.

Steve

ps. Re: "..I've been out with my mate on his MV and joe public always tend to be attracted to the ducati badge !!!"
I followed an MV out of the narrow lane behind M&S Motorcycles when on my SP4 last summer. Quite a crowd were eyeing his bike until I pulled alongside and filled the lane with a thunderous din. All eyes (..and ears) turned straight to the Ducati!
Old 14-Aug-2006, 17:21
500SD

"No race success behind them"?
European Superstock Championship:-
2. Ayrton Badovini - MV Augusta
3. Luca Scassa - MV Augusta
Old 14-Aug-2006, 17:40
500SD

aka.eric - Take a look at what the 'real' MV Agusta marque achieved, and you'll understand why I'm able to be a little bit flippant.

I won't deny them their recent successes though. Here's hoping they go on to greater things.
Old 14-Aug-2006, 18:42
Mille

I had an MV F4 1000 for about 6 months, once the looks wore off I regretted buying it so I sold it for another Ducati. I likened it at the time to going out with Jordan, great for a quick hard ride but the novelty soon wore off.

The Fuelling was awful - coming off a roundabout I would turn the trottle slightly and nothing would happen so turn it a bit more and suddenly it would take off with what felt like another 50 -60 bhp making the bike almost impossible to ride in the wet without highsiding. The suspension wasnt great either (Marzochci front and Sachs rear - a bit like riding a pogo stick on uneven roads

Also you couldnt blip the throttle on downshifts because it had an "electronic slipper clutch"

My one was on of the first in the Country so they might have sorted out these issues by now

It not a true riders bike in my opinion
Old 14-Aug-2006, 18:46
Mille

and another thing, the parts are almost impossible to get hold of - 3 months for a rear indicator and when my bike went in for its first service there wasnt an oil filter for a 1000cc model in the whole Counrty and I was told to wait at least two months. Luckily I managed to source one myself. Someone else I know had a power commander fitted to help with the fuelling issues and the power commander melted !!
Old 14-Aug-2006, 18:49
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka.eric
"No race success behind them"?
European Superstock Championship:-
2. Ayrton Badovini - MV Augusta
3. Luca Scassa - MV Augusta

So what? That's hardly in the same league as Ducati, is it? Where are they in the more prestigious classes? Nowhere. The only racing pedigree of note is the one they gained in the many many years ago.
Old 14-Aug-2006, 18:51
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
A friend of mine who spanners for a dealer selling them described them as **** and said a 748R would murder an MV 750. I guess his opinion would be fairly balanced.
Old 14-Aug-2006, 19:19
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
So what? That's hardly in the same league as Ducati, is it? Where are they in the more prestigious classes? Nowhere. The only racing pedigree of note is the one they gained in the many many years ago.
Not sure what "gained in the many many years ago." means?
Are you reading the same comments as the rest of the us?
Who was comparing MV Augusta to Ducati?.The comment was that modern MV,s have "No race success behind them".I pointed out that they have,simple.
I have no desire to buy an MV,prefer Ducati,s.But that doesnt compel me to spout "mines better than yours" if another manufacturers mentioned.
It could be argued that Ducati only do well where there,s no limit to the money you can throw at the bike.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit