Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Aug-2003, 09:40
500SD

Mood: mmmm....yellow!
Road legal Termis- worth buying?

Seen some 45mm road legal termis for sale off a 996 at the right money & I was wondering what they were like in terms of sound etc. I love the sound of the 50mm carbon cans currently fitted, but I might have to fit some standard road legal ones soon, new job permitting.
I have a set of standard cans at the moment, but they sound muted when they are on.

Any performance gains to be made with the Termis too? Do they need a chip? I beleive my standard 748 cans were 45mmm too.
Old 30-Aug-2003, 09:51
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
You say road legal termis.
Now then.........
Are these an aftermarket can made by Termignoni to come in just on the legal limit, or are they just another set of standard cans?
The reason I ask is that some folk don't realise that the standard systems on our bikes are made by none other than Termignoni, Remus, Silmotor etc.
My 900ssie had a standard system by Termignoni, my ST2 had Remus and my ST4S is also Remus.
If they are a standard set, then I doubt you would gain much in performance.
As for sound, just listen to a standard bike for that.
Chips wise that depends what chip you currently have fitted - if it's for 50mm open pipes, then the standard cans will mess the setting up that you are currently on.
The important thing is to check first what you have been offered to see exactly what you are getting & if this suits your purposes.
Now going back to my hangover 'cause this has made my brain hurt.........

[Edited on 30-8-2003 by rushjob]
Old 30-Aug-2003, 10:18
500SD

Mood: mmmm....yellow!
I presume they are the alloy ones with the termi logo stamped into the side of them, although I have yet to check this. They are off a 996 & I have seen these bikes in ,my local $tealer with the ally stamped Termi jobbies on
Apparently, these have the BS stamped on em too
Old 30-Aug-2003, 10:52
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
These\'ll probably be the standard cans then!!

They may have been cored though - ie baffle plates removed.

Just check them out first.

Tim
Old 30-Aug-2003, 15:43
Big Twin

From a certain year (99 or 2000 I believe) the standard pipes were stamped Termignonis.

They are just plain standard road legal cans and I would not think you would gain anything with them or that they would sound in any way nice(r).
One thing though, they are slightly bigger in diameter and you would need to buy special clamps & rubber for them at around £50 from Ducati.

In France - road legal Carbon Fiber termis seem to be quite popular ... well I have seen them a lot on magazines but I have got to say that the bikers in the street seems to stick with the much more sensible option of 50mm straight through or some full race systems!!

oh and France is a country where bikes are supposed to be restricted to 106bhp... yeah right!