Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 29-May-2005, 11:58
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Buy a helmet cause its fits the best , that way it will offer best protection , then wear ear plugs
Dont go for one just because its the quietest unless its also the best fit
Which would make it the perfect helmet
Old 29-May-2005, 22:30
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
I find my AGV is quiet enough to hear CK's singing at 90mph (on the track of course )
I always wear ear plugs when I'm biking anyway. Make sure the screen you have is not firing the wind straight into your face, it creates a lot of turbulence which makes for a noisy ride. That's why you'll find a quiet spot at certain speeds, when the airflow smooths out around your head
Old 29-May-2005, 23:02
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Thanks peps
I do wear ear plugs but I've got a very noisy helmet (no laughing at the back)
I like the XR1000 so might give that a look over cheers
ian
Old 29-May-2005, 23:17
Big Twin

I keep trying ear plugs and cant seem to get to grips with them, perhaps I just need to give it a bit of time but I find somehow it turns the whole riding experience into a bit of a video game. Does that make sense? What I'm trying to say is whenever I have worn them I find myself going quicker than I would without them as everything is so much quieter and I feel more "remote" from whats going on. Anyone else feel the same?

Saying that when I have been on long tours abroad I have made the effort to wear them and after a day or 2 wondered I have managed so long without them but on returning home I started riding without again and got used to that.

I have a Arai RX7 and a Quantum and they are very noisy I borrowed my mates Shoei for an hour once and it was much quieter. Has anyone tried those ear plugs that are made to fit your ear?
Old 30-May-2005, 01:01
Montjuic

Mood: Cercando sole!
I have Arai and Roof.

The RX7 Arai is hugely noisy and you need plugs for almost any ride but the Roof is very quiet and you can leave the plugs at home if you choose.

You should really wear plugs all the time though I suppose

Phil
Old 30-May-2005, 01:39
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
I wear the made to measure ear plugs ( work pays for them)
and would not go out without them , i have tried the foam type one's but could not get on with them at all
Old 30-May-2005, 06:46
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by MARTIN H
I keep trying ear plugs and cant seem to get to grips with them, perhaps I just need to give it a bit of time but I find somehow it turns the whole riding experience into a bit of a video game. Does that make sense? What I'm trying to say is whenever I have worn them I find myself going quicker than I would without them as everything is so much quieter and I feel more "remote" from whats going on. Anyone else feel the same?
I know exactly what you mean.
My hearing has suffered through riding with draughty old helmets in the 70's and 80's.Those Bell Star lids were terrible.I started to wear ear plugs for long trips,like up to the TT or NW200.I have gradually got used to them and would never ride without them.I find the classic foam plugs suit me best.I've tried the rubbery ones and could'nt get on with them.
Just as well really,as I have an unlimited supply of the foam plugs.Marko and I both have to work in noisy environments and we get them for free.
Old 30-May-2005, 10:51
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
in the last 12 months ive owned a arai quantum, ( a bit noisy but very comfortable) a agv rossi ti-tech ( would never buy agav again ) and i now have a shoei xr1000 kagayama( good but not that good )

i will only buy arai in the future as its far comfier, its still fits me now 4 years later where the shoei has given in already ( 2months old )

wear ear plugs if you can then buy a helmet thats comfy
Old 30-May-2005, 12:14
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by MARTIN H

Saying that when I have been on long tours abroad I have made the effort to wear them and after a day or 2 wondered I have managed so long without them but on returning home I started riding without again and got used to that.

I have a Arai RX7 and a Quantum and they are very noisy I borrowed my mates Shoei for an hour once and it was much quieter. Has anyone tried those ear plugs that are made to fit your ear?

makes sense to me, i found that with the plugs in it was like i was watching telly..weird..but ive got to get used to it cause my right ear crackels when the exhaust note is at a certain pitch.....
Old 30-May-2005, 14:11
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
My UVEX RS WING Is very quite but since I changed the visor I get a cold draft in one eye most anying can't seem to adjust it out.
I might go back to a Shoei next time
But always wear ear plugs.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit