Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Nov-2004, 20:43
Ducati Corse

Which tyres?

I know this is going over old ground perhaps but new ones do come along!

I'll be looking for a new pair or my ST4 in the not too distant future. The current D208's (not RR's or anything fancy) have done about 4500 miles and are looking a bit past their best after four trackdays. The rear has still got its profile though which is good but its down to the wear indicators now. The front is oddly worn and also down to the indicators.

I plan on doing a similar number of trackdays next year but hopefully a few more road miles. I need a front that will give me loads of confidence on the track but not so soft that i'll need to change it within the year.

Oh, i'm a slow to very slow road rider and i was at the back of the inters group on my last trackday! And i tend not to ride in the rain unless i have to.

Any ideas?
Old 04-Nov-2004, 20:47
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Stick some decent touring tyres on your current wheels then look for a spare set of wheels and fit Super Corsa's for the track days. You tow to the track in any case. That way your touring tyres will do fine if it's wet or damp, and a quick change to the SC's if it's dry. Imagine you could pick up a couple of cheap wheels fairly easily.

Failing that, I have absolutely NO idea!
Old 04-Nov-2004, 20:55
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Tyres

I've just fitted some D207RR's to the ST4s and to be honest with you I preferred the Avon Azaro ST's that were on before. But as I dropped on the tyres for £75 the pair I will persevere. A pair of Avons will set you back £145 at BFM @ Saltaire and will give you the best of both worlds with the compounds used.

http://www.bfmmotorcycles.co.uk
Old 04-Nov-2004, 21:01
Ducati Corse

Yeti's idea sounds like a good one because i tend to do most of my road riding two up so i dont need a full on sports tyre.

I've been very happy with the 208's but they did take a heck of a long time to warm up on monday.

Avons, well i've heard some very mixed reports about them, most going on about silly wear rates.

I know Rushjob loves his Diablos so maybe that a thought.
Old 04-Nov-2004, 21:09
Big Twin

Mood: :-)

You know they make sense!

Old 04-Nov-2004, 21:11
Ducati Corse

How many miles Andy?
Old 05-Nov-2004, 00:13
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
Yeti's idea sounds like a good one because i tend to do most of my road riding two up so i dont need a full on sports tyre.

I've been very happy with the 208's but they did take a heck of a long time to warm up on monday.

Avons, well i've heard some very mixed reports about them, most going on about silly wear rates.

I know Rushjob loves his Diablos so maybe that a thought.

Paul, Dunlops always take ages to warm up. Not for me.

Go the Diablo's I say!
Old 05-Nov-2004, 00:45
Ducati Corse

Tony, Snetterton was the first time i had used them in anger when the weather was cold and it probably wasnt till after lunch that i felt totally confident with them. When they are hot though they are superb.
Should have invested in some tyre warmers i think!
Old 05-Nov-2004, 00:53
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
Tony, Snetterton was the first time i had used them in anger when the weather was cold and it probably wasnt till after lunch that i felt totally confident with them. When they are hot though they are superb.
Should have invested in some tyre warmers i think!

Paul, remember what you said about me moving around in the novices group at TA3? I was on supercorsa's and absolutely amazed at the level of grip they gave me in the wet and they warmed up quickly!

Confidence inspiring stuff!

The Diablo's have more silica than the corsa's/supercorsa's therefore grip better in the wet. They won't have the life of a Dunlop 208 because they are made of wood (IMO).

But what would I know, I'm a joob ..
Old 06-Nov-2004, 10:23
Mille

A few suggestions:

- I have been running Michelin Pilot Roads on the ST for a while including a couple of track days and have found them to be pretty good. They need a bit of time to warm up but are then fine dry or rain. Rear is good for about 5k miles, front about 8k with some fairly spirited riding and some two up touring.

- on the 996, after the Bridgestone 010s it came with, I have been running Pirelli Diablos. Again with a few track days I think the rear should give me at least 4k miles. I tend to run towards the front of inters or back of fast on track days and have found absolutely no lack of grip, certainly not justifying going to more sticky Corsas. If you can't justify a second set of wheels I only noticed in MCN yesterday that Pirelli are now putting out the Diablo Strada for sports touring. If you can confirm compatible profiles it may be an option to put a Strada on the rear and a straight Diablo on the front. Would probably give you a good combination of traction but durability on the rear with excellent traction and similar durability on the front (i.e. they may well wear at a similar rate rather than the normal problem of having to chuck a half decent front away to keep your tyres matched.)

If you do try the mixed Diablo option would be very interesting to see how it goes as I am thinking along this line for my next change - probably mid next year.