Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Nov-2004, 10:37
everton

Diablos or BT012s, maybe 020s?
Old 06-Nov-2004, 10:47
Ducati Corse

Cheers for that Paul. The odd thing is that i tend to wear fronts out before rears!! Normally the rears go square but this year with my new found trackday hobby the rear has stayed nice and round but is just worn out really. The front was down to the indicators on one side a while ago.

Lack of grip at the back has never been a problem, infact i dont really notice what the back is doing, its the front thats the problem. Must be the way i ride!

We have been thinking about another option though. A low speed drop on a trackday could easily cost £1000 to fix and for that money i could buy an ex race bike with spare wheels etc and use that for trackdays with no worries about crashing it. After seeing the way that the No Limits guys ride those CB500's i have realised that absolute power isnt important, it must be far more satisfying to outride someone on an underpowered bike than to just use the grunt of a big bike on the straight bits. All i need to do is learn how to ride!

As an example, i eventually managed to pass someone at Snett (one of the instructors on a CB500) I almost outbraked myself doing so and while i'm hanging on for dear life with the back of the bike all over the place this guy accelerates past me, sticks his knee right out and goes round the corner a good 30mph faster than i could. I was so gob smacked i nearly ended up on the grass!
Old 06-Nov-2004, 18:24
Mille

Yep, if you are not worried about lap times and your ego, it comes down to the simple fact that riding any bike towards its and your limits is fun!! Must admit having the 996 as a track bike is an expensive luxury but it just puts a smile on my face every time I get out on it, it is such a sublime experience.
Old 06-Nov-2004, 19:04
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Paul, on average 7k from a front & 3.5k rear.
Mix of commuting, scratching & eurotouring.
Andy
Old 06-Nov-2004, 21:52
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Guys
I have stayed with the factory fitted Pilot Sports as they have proven to be great in all weather conditions and on all types of surfaces. I get 3.5k out of the back and then it wants changing (by 4k it's illeagal and wobberly) and the front get a good 6k with another 500miles for reminding me to change. My advice to nay rider is to stick with what gives them the most confidence - (confidence leads to safer more enjoyable riding) - even if you get a couple hundred miles less out of a tyre than the next guy.

Oh and the other thing I've discovered after 35yrs riding all sorts of bikes is that folks have a habbit of claiming fantastic wear rates for things like tyres, brake pads, clutch linings etc etc
Old 06-Nov-2004, 22:03
Ducati Corse

I keep a record of everything i do to my bike so i know how many miles stuff has done!

I think i'd be wanting to get more than 3500 miles out of a rear though especially if its only road use. As i said, its only on the track that i have any issues about confidence. Most of my road riding these days is two up so mileage is more important than absolute grip becasue i ride a heck of a lot slower with Lynn on the back.

I think the two sets of wheels idea might be the best one.