Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Nov-2004, 02:30
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Glad you liked the Yamadog crack

I am a two stroke guy from way back and threw a bunch of A-1R parts on my A-1SS Kawa. Ungodly acceleration for a 250, but ate piston rings like crazy.
As for sources, there are probably a few for TZ's and similar boy racers I have got things for people in a lot of different fields like trails, older Kawas, etc. If you know of a source or need to find something, maybe I can help.
Need to make a decision on the ST4 by this weekend.....hmmmmm
Old 19-Nov-2004, 10:00
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
"I am a two stroke guy from way back"-probably not as far back as me since I started riding(legally ) in 1964!
The TZ is amazingly reliable for a stroker-500 miles at race pace on pistons and rings without any significant deteriation in performance-it does use clutches though-but that's all part of getting a race stroker off the line quickly. The pistons don't seem to wear out-I just worry about the skirt dropping off. The older parrallel twins used to eat rings and pistons but the 'V' twins seem much easier on parts.
Mind you mine is an Avgas engine-I believe they use pistons much harder on unleaded, and are more liable to seize.

John
Old 19-Nov-2004, 10:22
500SD

Thanks John,
My first ring a ding was bought in March 1965, but I was riding rental Suzukis from 1964. That makes since that the v-twin would be easier on rings. What year is a TZ250D. There is a lot of stuff over here, but I would imagine yours is somewhere near 1983???
Cheers,
Jim
Old 24-Nov-2004, 02:21
500SD

Well, I am playing poker with the dealer to get an acceptable price and although I had my eyes on a Rosso ABS, I was just offered a good deal (just how good I will find out this week) on a showroom demo in Yellow. I fell in love with the first 748s in yellow, but I have never had a yellow bike. Any comments on upkeep, fading, sexiness of this baby (beside being more visible at night)...
Old 24-Nov-2004, 12:58
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
THe TZ is a 1992 250D, they didn't introduce 'v' twins until '91.

Yellow ST4S eh, what like this one-I added the black bits as I thought it made it look better.
The only downside to yellow is that it attracts flies-stupid things think the bike is a big flower..............

John

[Edited on 24-11-2004 by Monty]
Old 24-Nov-2004, 13:00
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Looks like a banana dipped in chockie

... I've got my coat, heading towards the door ...
Old 25-Nov-2004, 02:03
500SD

Cheers John,
I will spray it with insect repellant before each ride!!

As for the TZ, there are a number of suppliers here for TZ stuff. Being a 92 makes it a little easier to find stuff I would imagine.
Old 28-Nov-2004, 03:11
500SD

Well, I did it and signed the contract after prolonged negotiations. Got the price I wanted with side-panniers added in at cost and the dealer said he would throw in a few up-river salmon (protected here, but his family has a license to catch a few) Need to figure out how I will prepare them though.
Went down to the dealer on my road bike (27 speed) in proper bike regalia (padded lycra shorts and cleated shoes). The dealer said he had a ST3 ready for me to ride, just to see what they are like. SO, I hopped on with a proper helmet and my lycra/spd combination and drove around town for about an hour. Good fun on the bike, but even more fun looking at people look at me, Funniest guy was out in front of his house washing a Monster. he heard me coming and then dropped his jaw as I passed. Must have thought bloody Yanks have no sense of proper riding attire!
Pick the yellow monster (sic) up on the 11th! How can I wait.

PS THanks again for all your advice! Loaded up on insect repellant.