Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 28-Mar-2005, 18:50
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Some vans have a higher rear than others....the transit being one. The merc sprinter is considerably lower, and so easier to load!
Old 28-Mar-2005, 18:56
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Andy, I take your point but I'm thinking with a wide ramp and the van properly cushioned inside, I'll be able to ride the bike straight up the ramp and into the van. Just need to get a 'mind your head' sign for the top. Haven't checked this out yet so don't all knock me down in flames - I like to make my own insane statements and then discover that they're rubbish - don't need any help with that.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 19:09
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Ruth,to be honest i doubt if you would want or be able to ride a bike straight into the back of a van. Alsorts of horrible things spring to mind if you drop the clutch or miss the brake while cramped over the saddle. You can all way venture round my Tranny Van if you want . Regards 4D
Old 28-Mar-2005, 19:16
Big Twin

Mood: r
my transit is ideal for work/play. much better than my old mazzda e2200.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 19:33
Big Twin

Based on my very limited experience of watching others do it, and helping loading my own bikes into vans, I don't think it's as easy as you think.

Not being funny, Ruth, but wasn't it you that was saying the other day you weren't prepared to tackle a paddock stand (apologies if not)?

I'd gently suggest that putting a bike on a paddock stand is much easier (especially for one person) than manoeuvering it up a ramp into a van.
I'd say that, apart from from the brawny and/or experienced, it was a 2-person job.
And I've never seen anyone ride a bike up a ramp (well, apart from Evil Knievel ). Headroom issues, I assume, and/or ramp stability. If it was feasible, I'm sure they'd all do it.

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by moto748]

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by moto748]
Old 28-Mar-2005, 19:38
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Redruth
Andy, I take your point but I'm thinking with a wide ramp and the van properly "cushioned" inside, I'll be able to ride the bike straight up the ramp and into the van.

Bloody ell, you aint even bought it yet, and your putting cushions in it!! Whats next curtains??

If you need any help on the "white van man" technique, gis a shout.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 19:39
Ducati Meccanica

Yes moto, that was me. I'm just so much more confident when the engine's running and I'm on it than when it's not and I'm standing next to it. I just have to get over this hurdle of thinking I can't manhandle the bike though. Otherwise I'm going to be relying a lot on other people and that's not always convenient.

I've developed a real mental block about my bike trailer though so this van thing is the alternative I've come up with.

And as soon as I get the paddock stand (and can use my left arm properly) I shall be practising putting the bike on and off it. I'll be leaving it in its track fairings, which are already damaged on the left side, so can't do too much more harm, until I've mastered it.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 19:53
Big Twin

I was pretty nervous aboout a paddock stand too when I first got my bike. That and a flip-up stand too...
Especially as I'm just a slip of a lad, not like some of the pie-eaters around here...

But I'm OK with it now (although, funnily enough, I nearly had a "moment" a few weeks back when using someone else's stand, obviously with a slightly different movement).

But shurely with a trailer you "can" ride the bike straight on (I'm sure you could on the ones I've seen)?
Old 28-Mar-2005, 19:54
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Ruth the transit is lower than the VW. It also has a higher roof. I walk mine in to the van with the engine running. It is an art, but I have had years of experience.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 19:57
Ducati Meccanica

Cheers Jon but I don't really want a transit. You're shorter than me. You could stand up in a VW, I'm sure!

PS thanks for doing up my trousers the other day

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit