Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 20-Apr-2006, 19:32
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Latest on losing your ie keys !

My bro-in-law has asked ducati how he could get a set of keys ... and got this reply !
Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent email.

With regard to obtaining a duplicate key if all keys are lost for machines fitted with the Ducati Immobiliser, unfortunately due to security reasons we are not able to produce a duplicated key for any machine. Therefore, you would require the following items to enable the machine to function correctly:

Lock-set - 199.16 + VAT
ECU - 714.06 + VAT
Dashboard - 303.63 +VAT

Thank you for your understanding.

Yours sincerely
Stephanie Chappell
Customer Service Dept
DUCATIUK Ltd.

now I really cant believe that, cos I thought what we have worked out is that the keys are remembered by a circuit in the clocks, not the ecu directly, cos you can fit never-used-with-the-red-key-clocks and the immobiliser does not trigger.
Therefore surely 'only' a set of locks/keys and a set of clocks are needed.
Old 20-Apr-2006, 20:45
Big Twin

Mood: DD 2006: 4th Top Rookie. DD 2007: 2nd Class B. DD 2008: 2nd Class B.
oh my god ducati bit cost alot but wow
Old 20-Apr-2006, 21:13
Mille

Unfortunately, it is true. There have a been a few 'discussions' on a few forums on why Ducati do not keep records of the official owners just in case this does happen - but for whatever reason, they don't. I do remember being told when I bought my bike, that "whatever you do, do not lose the red key for your bike as it will cost you big time".

I recently looked to replace the clocks on my Monster for a digital dash and ran into the same problems. Without the clocks, the ECU will not function correctly - they are somehow linked. I made many enquiries on how to get round it and it cannot be done. I thought it slightly ridiculous that with Ducati's racing heritage, that you cannot remove the speedo without having to replace the whole ECU but unfortunately, that is they way it is.

If you are completely stuck, there is a slightly cheaper (and better) way to do it. Replace the ECU with a new computer by FIM and you can control lots on the bike - rev limit, fuelling, etc etc. It isn't cheap at about £500 but it does mean that the immobiliser is bypassed and you can put whatever clocks you want on the bike. I think that Sigma are the importers in the UK - and it does work as I have done it on my Monster.

Hope this helps

simon
Old 20-Apr-2006, 21:26
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
In my day you could get any bike to start using a piece of silver paper off a fag packet. So this is progress?
Old 20-Apr-2006, 21:38
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
FIM chip would def be the way to go speak to Neil Spalding at Sigma if you lose the red key.
Old 20-Apr-2006, 21:57
Montjuic

Quote:
Originally posted by marchesini

If you are completely stuck, there is a slightly cheaper (and better) way to do it. Replace the ECU with a new computer by FIM and you can control lots on the bike - rev limit, fuelling, etc etc. It isn't cheap at about £500 but it does mean that the immobiliser is bypassed and you can put whatever clocks you want on the bike. I think that Sigma are the importers in the UK - and it does work as I have done it on my Monster.

Hope this helps

simon

Apparently, you still need the clocks as they form an essential part of the ECU!!

I'm going for a Lucas Magneto and a pair of Wal Phillips fuel injectors, then I'll keep an eye on revs with me Smiths Chronometric Tacho...........mmmmmmmm Tacos!!!

Ps...who's nicked my atavar?
I wouldn't have thought MC Hammer dancing was THAT offensive!....."Don't touch this...!"

[Edited on 20-4-2006 by Washboard]
Old 20-Apr-2006, 22:21
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by Washboard

Apparently, you still need the clocks as they form an essential part of the ECU!!

No, you don't as the FIM computer completely replaces any of the immobiliser / Ducati ECU that is on the bike so you can put on any fancy tacho combination you so wish:

We've now been selling our U59 ECU for 18 months and we cover most current model Ducatis. These models include:
2001 Models; Monster S4, ST4S, 996R
2002 Models; Monster S4, ST4S, Monster 620, Monster 900, 998, 998S, 998R
2003 Models; Monster S4R, ST4S, Monster 620, Monster 800, Monster 1000DS, 620S, 800SS, 1000DS, 749, 999.
2004 Models; Monster S4R, M620, M800, M1000DS, 620S, 800SS, 1000DS, 749, 999.
The G2 (Generation 2) U59 carries the CAN bus technology used on the 999/749 models to operate the dash, but does not yet work with the idle stepper-motor models (Multistrada) or those with a fuel guage on the dash (Multistrada, ST3, ST4S 04).

We have started testing on 999S and R models and will finalise these maps soon.

U59 Features

Plug-in equivalent of Weber IAW 59M ECU.
Disables the Immobiliser function for all models. You can use the U59 on a race or track bike without the ignition key, immobiliser aerial, and immobiliser unit.
Supplied pre-mapped for most applications - slipon mufflers, revised cam timing, etc.
Fully mappable for Fuel Map, Rear cylinder Correction Map, Spark Map, Fan Cutins, and Rev Limiter using a new version of our Mapper program (available to dealers)
Can be operated in Road Mode (all side-stand cutouts, starter button, clutch switch etc. functional) or Track Mode (Kill Switch only) so you don't need to wreck your wiring harness to go to the track.
The Dashboard Water Lamp or ECU check lamp can be used as a Programmable Shift Light in addition to the warning function.(Some models only)
Can be diagnosed using the Ducati Mathesis Tester or our UltiMap Diagnostics Software.

If it's just a chip only, it may be different so as Alan says, speak to Neil at Sigma.

simon
Old 20-Apr-2006, 23:19
Montjuic

It was Neil at Sigma who told me that the clocks were retained due to various essential components being within them! Unless he was taliking about a different computer.

Old 20-Apr-2006, 23:56
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Haven't we been through all this before with me posting my experiences re. one of my 800s?

If you lose the red key you are goosed nor can you run the bike without the instrument panel

The only answer is an FIM ecu.

This is precisely why I hasve given up with one of my 800s as far as racing it in minitwins is concerned because the regs do not allow an alternative ecu to be used. I am scrapping the bike because the cost of replacing all the required components made it unviable.