Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Aug-2003, 08:51
500SD

Mood: wobbly !!!
Col
Iam a long streak of pi## and the same weight as you. My 998 was harsh and wrist jaring to start with but i have got used to it and now it all seems normal. I have tweeked the suspension to suit my style or lack of style and it now handles as good as i can ride. I also came from a Triumph (speed tripple) so the difference was pretty awsome.
Would now not swop back, the Duke just has that wow factor every time i ride.
Sorry i cant be more technical, but thats how I find it.
Good luck with the choice
Kev
Old 04-Aug-2003, 09:41
Montjuic

Why not ask them if it is on standard settings? Easy to check with the rear shock rebound and compression, just count the number of clicks. Maybe the guy "screwed" up the settings and hence is selling

I test rode my 998S after not riding a bike for 6 years and never having ridden a Duc before. after 10 mins i was loving it and leaning. I'm 6 ft, 84kg never had a problem with size.

Take another 998 out, if it "feels" the same, it is probably you.
Old 04-Aug-2003, 10:06
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
My money would be on the steering damper being too tight. It's the number one twiddle magnet for a bike that has sat in the ship as long as that one has.

Have to agree it's pricey. It probably needs a full service inc belts as well? How much warranty if any left?

A 996/8r turns quicker than a '99 996 bip when they are all on standard settings.

Ray
Old 04-Aug-2003, 11:00
Big Twin

I looked at that bike in P&H Crawley about 3 months ago and it is real pricey. Upon haggling with them they would give it a service before it goes and that was about it... but i am not even sure that you would want that.

I have bought a 996SPS instead and servicing had been done by P&H and they did not seem to have done a lot as far as I am concerned.

If I was to spend that sort of money on a 996R I would rather go to Pro-Twin, at least with them you know that you would get a minter.
Old 04-Aug-2003, 19:04
Big Twin

Mood: happy
Hi Col, i recently bought a 996R from pro twins, I used to have a 748R. I have found this bike to be no different in handling to the 748R, both having Ohlins. I think most riders go and have their bikes set up for them, this one needs it. very hard even over the smallest of bumps. as previously mentioned, try another Duke or two and see how they feel. I have a friend who ownes a 748, when i had a go it fell into corners, all down to setting up.
As to cost, if you like it get it. I myself cannot be arsed to hang around waiting for that one bike that is at the "right price"
I could still be waiting if i was worried too much about price, but i am at present having a blast with this 996R, instead of scouring the pages trying to save a few hundred pounds. Good luck and let us know.
Old 04-Aug-2003, 20:11
Dibble

Pguenet, surprised at your remarks about P&H, they looked after my 996 until Ducati London South opened on office doorstep .....

595, P&H are very fair, I think whoever it was that said it owed them a lot of money is quite accurate, I know one of the sales guys down there ad he intimated the same ...

that bike is very genuine, very straight and stunning, I was trying to get Henners to buy it ... good time for a haggle though as if it doesnt go soon they wont want it in the shop for another 6 months over the winter ...

get them to sort the suspension and have another go on it ...

be quick though cos if my 6 numbers come up i'm having it ... lol
Old 04-Aug-2003, 21:58
Montjuic

Mood: Lascivious
Thanks guys

What can I say? Thanks to all you folks for taking the time to reply - I really appreciate it.

I think I will try a few more before I buy, but I think you're all telling me that I shouldn't expect too much without spending a lot of time setting it up (or getting someone who knows what they're doing to do it for me). I certainly feel a bit better about the test ride.

Although I am a bit 'Xaus-like' in proportions (though obviously not in riding ability), I'm not going to let this put me off - there's always surgery.

I need to own one of these beauties - I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Col.
Old 07-Aug-2003, 16:30
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

You are welcome to try the settings I have on my 996R, I'm 6 feet and around 13.5 stone. Tyres can have a big effect, could be low pressures, bad tyres, odd suspension settings etc. When I bought my second hand ST2 a couple of years ago the guy had previously "ridden" a Highly Dangerous and had tried to set the ST up to handle as badly. Wound off all the rear preload and compression damping. Man did that thing feel wierd !!!. Jacked the back up 1.5 inches, wound on some preload and damping (started at standard settings) and hey presto a rideable bike!!!.

Henners is right about the set up being critical, the guy who suggested the steering damper could be too tight was also worth listening to.

John Hackett put a harder spring on the rear of my 996R with less preload. If you've ever done any research on how springs work it makes sense, the spring works better and once the damping is adjusted around it makes for a far more comfortable ride without compromising track day handling.
Old 08-Aug-2003, 15:26
888 at Last !!!

I had a look at the 996R in P&H

and in my opinion, it's a minter. The rear is a 180 supercorsa which looks to be squared off (original tyre). The previous owner never had it to the edges or anywhere near.

Col, I'd buy it if I had the cash (but haggle as P&H are fairly reasonable)
Old 09-Aug-2003, 07:44
Ducati Corse

Sorry to disagree Zig but the original would have been a 190 ...