Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 20-Feb-2004, 00:54
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

you wont regret a day of training, Jewell. you'll learn sumthing that might one day be the difference between another days riding or, well, not! And i know where id rather be...

Ive used a company in SW London but thats a bit a trek I guess. Look in Bike mag as they always have listings for training companies.. sure smeone here will be able to recomend tho!
Old 20-Feb-2004, 03:33
500SD

Mood: Bonjour Bonjour we are the Billy
Contact your local police bike section.

We have an annual campaign in Central Scotland called "Bike Safe" where the local coppers give you free advanced training.

See if anything is being run locally in your neck of the woods, if not ask them why not? After all they are always moaning about us bikers topping ourselves.

I went and must admit it was very well run with 1 2 1 comms and everything......

Did we stick to the National Speed limit?

Of course we did

Best of all it was free!!!!
Old 20-Feb-2004, 07:01
Mille

Quite a few years ago I used a company called Circuit Based Training. They were good back then. They do courses at circuits (not surprisingly!) and teach you cornering skills. Anyone can ride in a straight line so these boys concentrate on showing you how to get the bike around the corner, how to stop it (just rear, just front and both brakes) mid corner. In the process you will undoutably get your knee down. They use classroom, video and instructors on track with you.
I did the course at Donington - I think they use there and Mallory. Might be worth having a word with them to see if they still do these and if they get any nearer you or can put you onto anyone nearer is distance is a problem. My road riding improved vastly at the time as a result. Much much smoother.
Their number is 01455 840645 and website is http://www.doningtonpark.co.uk. Shaun was the man to speak to back then. They did a one day track course or a two day course (track and then fast road). IMHO the two day with the road as second day was not really worth it as you learnt what you wanted at the track.
HTH.
Old 20-Feb-2004, 07:38

I did the MAC training that used to be run by Honda. 2 says £250. It counts for an Insurance discount and I think I'm much safer and more controlled and no surprise faster.
I look at it this way its cheaper than panel damage, and much cheaper than any injuries.
I'll be doing some sort of advance training every couple of years.

Bill
Old 20-Feb-2004, 09:09
Mille

Most police forces are running very cheap observed riding courses, the scheme is called bike safe and I believe there is a link at motorcycle.co.uk.
Annette had the benifit of riding with 2 police riders(off duty) when she first passed her test and they developed her road riding skills, she is now a quick and very safe rider.
A quick sumary is 1, use all the availiable road to improve your field of view, 2, always go as fast as you can see (never go faster than you can see to stop in an emergency), 3 treat all other road users as homicidle blind nutters, 4 ALWAYS listen to the little voice in you head that says somethings not right, your subconcious may have noticed something important.
Finaly observe 30 mph strictly, all 40/50 limits strictly in built up areas less so on open roads and finaly when you see the national speed limit sign, GLF is the phrase we were told which translates to go like f***

Congatulations and ride safely

dave and annette
Old 20-Feb-2004, 09:37
Big Twin

Mood: http://www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Jewell
hi all,
my mum and step dad said i can have my 400 on one condition,i do advanced training for a day or 2.
but who with?

How old are you....
Old 20-Feb-2004, 15:30
Mille

Yep I agree never stop learning. Try IAM
or Bikesafe or if you're in a hurry try Phase2 at Devizes (all instructors ex IAM trained observers) 07967 204524

Ask the school where you did your CBT, or look in your yellow pages.

SA
Old 20-Feb-2004, 18:52
Jewell

thx all.
im not trying to be quicker on the road but more safe to myself and others.

will look into it.

and ian,im 18.since i live in there house,i have to live by there rules and if i say"no i aint doing that"then i have to go live with my old man.simple as that!
Old 20-Feb-2004, 18:59
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Quote:
Originally posted by R1-ian
Quote:
Originally posted by Jewell
hi all,
my mum and step dad said i can have my 400 on one condition,i do advanced training for a day or 2.
but who with?

How old are you....

EXCUSE ME!....BUT...I never got a bike or did my test out of Respect for my dear old mum! She passed away 3 years ago! I never dyed my hair blah, blah, blah... because I knew she would worry herself sick !
GOOD ON YOU JEWELL!

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by kwikbitch]
Old 20-Feb-2004, 19:06
Jewell

thx lisa.
dont care about my SD but my mum.....maximum respect.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit