Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 27-Mar-2005, 20:10
Mille

Mood: dooM
I started on a Monster 600 and it served me well for 18 months before selling it and going over to a 748 (if I could have afforded it I would have kept it as my 'other' bike).

I'm not going to say that a 748 is too powerful etc. for a first bike as it is not my place to comment on anyone else's riding ability (hell, the 748 is an infinitely better bike than I am rider!), but I don't think I would have wanted it as my first bike. The Monster was an ideal start to Ducati ownership and if I am honest, I will probably end up either going back to one or if funds allow, getting another.

As you say you have been around bikes for ages, then none of the above may apply. The Monster was great as a naked bike, but I think you would be disappointed with the performance of a 600 if you are used to Jap 600's. Probably best to go for a 900 or an S4. The 748 can live with Jap 600's easily enough but compared to GSXRs and Ninjas that I have owned, is a whole lot more uncomfy on the road!

I did consider one of the current breed of SS Ducatis and only didn't take this further because the t.wats at Ducati Aylesbury thought it too much hassle to let me test ride one of their bikes. Obviously my 4k wasn't good enough for them!
Old 03-Apr-2005, 01:03
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
welcome

insurance will be ok if you ring around, mine was £440 f.comp and that was including a ban and a claim

if you want a 748 you have a 748, get what you want not what others tell yuo to get
Old 03-Apr-2005, 05:10
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Asked and answered ...

http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/vi...d.php?tid=9331
Old 08-Apr-2005, 17:48
Mille

Mood: Just the one bike for me now
I've riden scooters, yes Vespa's and Lambretta's for many years and just became bored with the scene.

Got me self an Aprilia RS250 12 months back for some track pleasure and more recently the 748s.

You're as safe as you ride and as long as you have some respect for the power it will come in time.

Enjoy the Ducati experience, which ever steed you decide to ride...
Old 08-Apr-2005, 20:49
Mille

Mood: bleedin ecstatic!
go for it!

Ive riden a few bikes (below 250) for many years, but after a long break from bikes I took the plunge in December this year, i bought a 749 Dark before I even passed my test (imagine that, having it sat in the garden just staring at it, not being able to ride!). Past the test, got insurance (1200 full comp, ouch) but hey, pay on installments. Then the servicing. Pity you cant pay them on installments either.

its fairly uncomfy to start with but your body moulds to it after a little while, otherwise get a monster, but either way, drive one first, then try a jap bike, and see how little they inspire. Plainly put, a ducati make you feel special by simply sitting on it, try that on a jap. .. (jap 'bike' that is, not a japanese person, although you might be into that kinda thing, each to their own..)

[Edited on 8-4-2005 by sonic]