Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 20-Apr-2004, 18:12
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
Ride Magazine - tyre warmers - anyone want to add anything?

IF ANYONE HAS ANYTHING MORE TO ADD AS THIS IS THE further INFO THAT Ride MAGAZINE HAVE ASKED FOR FROM ME.

Many thanks for your pictures and review of the tyre warmers. I'd like to use you on the page but would need a bit more from you. Is that possible?

1. What sort of bike are you on (make/model/year)?

The bike I am on is a '99 748bip, basic stuff really but as your Ride Survey showed, it's the 2nd most popular track day bike.

For good reason, it's such a fun bike to ride and quite fast with as little effort as possible.

If you want to look good on a bike, the 748 is your ticket! Anyone can ride it well.

2. Would you buy them again? And (whatever the answer) why?

More and more people are turning up to track days with more and more "focussed kit" over the last 3 years that I have been doing track days.

More people have track day fairings or better still dedicated track day bikes.

The tyre warmers are very much part of this growing trend toward getting the most from the day.

If you consider the prices, say £180 - £260 (?) for a good pair, (I have the HWW pair and they come in any colour you like - as long as it's blue!) that's what, a single GP circuit track day such as Brands?

What it allows you to do is get on the gas straight away, it gives you such confidence that you can ride at 100% straight away, although I usually give it a lap just to settle down again anyhow.

It has allowed me to progress to the back of the fast group, which is a much safer place to be on a track day, even on the (85 bhp / 200kg ) 748.

For me it's not about having the fastest bike and shaving off a second here and there to prove I'm a Track Day God, I want to have huge fun, learn something about myself, the bike and go home in one piece.

I have more fun, learn more and subsequently advance more knowing that my tyres are not an issue - ever. I never think about the tyres.If you find yourself worrying about your choice of rubber, maybe now is the time to make the investment to warmers.

It will save your tyres from being ripped up due to cold tyre wear. This was costing me dearly in the first couple of years, and really without knowing it since I would trash a set of tyres on a long circuit such as Silerstone GP on a hot day. This expenditure on this one item is paid back within say 4-5 track days. The re-sale value is going to be pretty good even in 2 years time I'd say.

3. A bit more information would be good, for example: are they easy to fit?

They come in various sizes according to the size of your sports bike.

Once the bike is up on the front and rear paddock stands, it takes about 60 seconds per tyre, so it's very straight forward.

Are they supplied with decent instructions?

Not really, one side of A4, but then it's not rocket science, and they can only be put on the tyre one way so if you get it wrong, you'll soon know!

Have they ever gone wrong?

No. You have to make sure you unplug them once they are taken off the tyres just prior to going out on your session, or unplug them first before removing them if you'd prefer.

Drape them over a chair to let them cool down so that they are not curled in on themselves .

How long do you have to put them on for?

20 mins should be ample.

Do you know what temperature they heat the tyres to?

75 degrees (I believe) and the best ones (HWW in my case) are thermostatically controlled . There is a black patch on them and when they're on the tyre and plugged in, they change to red. Simple.

Do you have to lug a generator around?

If you're racing or anywhere there is no supply of mains electricity - such as Cadwell Park. 1.2Kva I am told is the genny output you'll need if you do hire one for more remote tracks. (I am sure there are other tracks that do not have mains, just not been to any of them yet.)

I hope this is OK.

If you want more info, Liisa, just say.

I have some photos of the 748 which I will burn to disk and send to you.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit