Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 21-Apr-2004, 13:51
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
My dilemma

Ok, I have a MY 2000 996BP which I doubt very much that I'll sell.

I have an order placed for a Paul Smart 1000 (delivery date estimate - Nov 2005)

I commute on my bike regularly (when it will bloody start) and it's not the most practical of daily ride bikes ... and neither would the Paul Smart. If I was to buy a limited edition like the Paul Smart I wouldn't want to put too many miles on it and would look to find a balance between riding it and miles etc ...

I have been considering taking my Paul Smart deposit and buying a Multistrada so I thought it would be interesting to see what other people in the club think and would maybe do in my situation. So please vote and maybe give a bit of a blurb as to why you would plump one way or another.

Has anyone else here ordered one of the Sport Classics - if so, which one and why?

Cheers,

TP
Old 21-Apr-2004, 14:06
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
In my opinion, keep the 996 for sure, if you are not going to ride the other bikes then get the biggest picture that you can post it up on the garage wall and sit and look at that. Bikes are for riding not storing ,museums are more into that . The Multi is the way to go .4D
Old 21-Apr-2004, 14:12
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Hasn't David Cook got a Paul Smart on order?

Anyhow, if it was me I'd get the Multi for commuting and keep the 996 for weekends and trackdays.

Can you justify a Paul Smart sitting there not getting hardly any use at all?
Old 21-Apr-2004, 14:30
MotoGP God

This is the crux of my problem. I have an emotional attachment to the early s\ss range and saw the Paul Smart as a way to get around the reliability issues for using one regularly .. then they decided to limit the production and bump the price up.

I've always said that I don't want to have a bike and not ride it, thats what they are there for. I guess I'm going to find it hard to justify the Paul Smart unless I ride it regularly. I do like the Multistrada but I've already tried the 3 bikes scenario with the wife and 10 acres in the Gold Coast hinterland (QLD, Australia for those who aren't familiar) with her dream house sat right in the middle of it has a higher priority than a third bike, I think I'll concede on that one, at least until after the house is built

My heart says Paul Smart and just ride the bloody thing, my head says Multistrada.

I've got a while to ponder it anyway, but keep those opinions coming in.

TP
Old 21-Apr-2004, 14:30
MotoGP God

This is the crux of my problem. I have an emotional attachment to the early s\ss range and saw the Paul Smart as a way to get around the reliability issues for using one regularly .. then they decided to limit the production and bump the price up.

I've always said that I don't want to have a bike and not ride it, thats what they are there for. I guess I'm going to find it hard to justify the Paul Smart unless I ride it regularly. I do like the Multistrada but I've already tried the 3 bikes scenario with the wife and 10 acres in the Gold Coast hinterland (QLD, Australia for those who aren't familiar) with her dream house sat right in the middle of it has a higher priority than a third bike, I think I'll concede on that one, at least until after the house is built

My heart says Paul Smart and just ride the bloody thing, my head says Multistrada.

I've got a while to ponder it anyway, but keep those opinions coming in.

TP
Old 21-Apr-2004, 14:47
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
It's such a complicated dilema you explained it twice
Old 21-Apr-2004, 15:34
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I'd go for the GT1000 myself ... best of both worlds!
Old 21-Apr-2004, 15:55
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
you've already got a classic with the 996.
(i lusted after one for years before finally giving into temptation).

Sorry but the Paul Smart does nothing for me personally but the Multistrada is a bit different and fun.
Old 21-Apr-2004, 16:38
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
Go for the Paul Smart

Bike choice shouldn't always (ever?) be about the sensible option, that's what the car's for!

I guess that's why I sold a Westfield and bought a 748 a few years ago - the daft car was unjustifiable, but a daft bike (or two) is a must!
Old 22-Apr-2004, 11:12
500SD

Mood: Not sure
How about a nice low milage second hand Multi to use everyday and a nice restoration of an old SS for a winter project, as you say reliability issues of the old bike wont matter as you will restore it in Paul Smart colours and not use it to much, but you will know your way round the bike after the restoration and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself

Darren

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit