Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 25-Apr-2004, 20:45
500SD

Mood: Very happy with the Multi
Police forces target biker deaths

That explains why every police officer in the South missed Sunday lunch today.

Nice to see they "do not want to stop people's enjoyment of going out on a ride"

But they had a good try though

Police hope to reduce the number of motorcyclist deaths Police officers across the South are joining forces to tackle the number of fatal motorcycle accidents.
Officers from Thames Valley, Surrey, Hampshire, Kent and the Metropolitan Police are to co-ordinate their efforts to crack down on speeding bikers.

On Sunday, officers will be out on routes known to be popular with motorcyclists to stop those riding dangerously or at high speed.

The joint project, called Operation Triumph, will run during the summer.

This is not about persecuting motorcyclists...We simply want them to arrive home safely

Sergeant Phil Haseler
It was organised by Sergeant Phil Haseler, of Thames Valley Police, which saw 37 riders killed and 300 seriously injured in its area last year.

Last month, the force launched a red and yellow card scheme to advise and warn dangerous motorcyclists.

Sgt Haseler said: "Motorcycle casualties are a problem across the region and all forces across the South East are serious about doing something about it.

"I therefore approached the other five forces and they agreed to co-ordinate their work with us.

"This is not about persecuting motorcyclists.

"We do not want to stop people's enjoyment of going out on a ride, we simply want them to arrive home safely."

Old 25-Apr-2004, 21:12
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Sorry mate but, yet another one sided thread banging on about how the poor motorcyclist is being hammered.

There are so many other angles to consider not least the number of 'Poor motorcyclists' and the potential for devestation they posses.

Let me introduce here the residents of a village called Chelveston. Scenic little place, but plagued virtually every summers day with numerous Motor bikes using the B660 and B645, roads that runs past the village.
How would you feel about this irritation, constantly passing your house? And who would you complain to to do something about it?
What would you expect them to do? More to the point, how would you be if they did sod all about what you perceive to be the biggest bain of your life?

It seems to me that these Forces are merely doing something about, initially the number of deaths on the road, and secondly, the numerous requests by YOU the public, to sort it out or else...
Old 25-Apr-2004, 21:16
Mille

Mood: Feeling Sad being Ducati-less :(
and make a bit of dosh on the side no doubts !!

On the way back this morning from Alton I saw at least 5 plod, 2 in Volvos. 2 motorcycle cops and one in a van with a speed camera. I saw about 5 Duc's on the Alton road, I flashed you all - I think I flashed Everton and Karl - mainly to slow down, as I was in the car, you probably thought I was some dump car driver or something - then again.....

Anyway, glad you all had a great day at Physclists', shame I missed it - especially since Mrs Mutts didn't get any Bacon this weekend so I haven't had my traditional bacon sarnie....
Old 25-Apr-2004, 21:48
DSC Club Member
500SD

Dave yes it was me you saw on the 339, although I was already going steady due to losing sight of Everton who was a car lenghts ahead on the roundabout before the 339.
Luckily saw a R1 rider with trackday fairings going from Alton at the start of the run signaling with his hand to turn around and go back, so I knew plod was on the route but didn`t think it was going to be the whole Hampshire Constabulary!!
Did manage to spot 2 marked, 1 unmaked cars, 2 bike cops, and a camera van, ther could have been more hiding somewere. Some cars flashed me included you Dave (thanks) and a marked police car coming the other way even pointed to me when I was going at a steady 60, I can only assume it was his way of saying "we are watching you" (nice).
Anyway stopped a few miles after the van and tried to call Everton to find out where he was, only to find him coming from behind me 2 mins later, he told me he had been helping plod answer some questions on the exhausts on his 999R, and then afterwards been followed by them for a few miles on the 339.
As we got into Alton saw another police car and thought we were now done for…but as it turns out they were already stopped a BMW rider and we carried on. So do I feel like a persecuted motorcyclist.....

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by Karl]
Old 25-Apr-2004, 22:06
500SD

Mood: Very happy with the Multi
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Sorry mate but, yet another one sided thread banging on about how the poor motorcyclist is being hammered.

There are so many other angles to consider not least the number of 'Poor motorcyclists' and the potential for devestation they posses.

Let me introduce here the residents of a village called Chelveston. Scenic little place, but plagued virtually every summers day with numerous Motor bikes using the B660 and B645, roads that runs past the village.
How would you feel about this irritation, constantly passing your house? And who would you complain to to do something about it?
What would you expect them to do? More to the point, how would you be if they did sod all about what you perceive to be the biggest bain of your life?

It seems to me that these Forces are merely doing something about, initially the number of deaths on the road, and secondly, the numerous requests by YOU the public, to sort it out or else...

Don't apologise, you're entitled to your opinion, the same as the rest of us.

I actually live on the A339, and dread the sound of the sirens every Sunday/Wednesday heralding yet another fallen biker. But I don't see how flooding the roads with speed traps and pulling bikers for race cans is going to reduce the deaths. As the majority of bike fatalities on this road involve no other vehicle, and almost always involve a bend!

Perhaps investment in less police overtime and more in building a positive relationship with bikers, would enable encouragement for better rider training and roadcraft skills.

As for it being a "one sided thread" surely the poster create the balance of a thread as you have done.
Think it is just called freedom of speech and having an opinion.
Old 25-Apr-2004, 22:31
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Good Post Triple Nine. reminds us all to be tolerant of others views, no matter how polarising or controversial the may be.

TP
Old 25-Apr-2004, 23:02
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nine
As the majority of bike fatalities on this road involve no other vehicle, and almost always involve a bend!

Have seen these sort of accidents, but sometimes another vehicle has been the cause although no collision has taken place. More and More cars are cutting right hand bends causing oncoming traffic to take avoiding action, in a motorcyclist case this often means appexing to early and then running wide or standing the bike up on the brakes and loosing control, at which point the poorly driven 4 wheeler is long gone. There are now certain bends on my favourite bits of road that I now have to allow for this as cutting the corner is now common place, I am nearly at the point where I will turn around,catch the driver up and give him a piece of my mind. And what do I see plod doing about this sort of behaviour, Diddly Squat as thay are usually sat furher up the road with their speed gun where its a bit sraighter.

My 2 cents worth
Old 25-Apr-2004, 23:25
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Some interesting views as always.....

What's the answer then?

I wonder how do you put together an initiative to reduce motorcycle fatalities and casualties that will work?

It's terrible when you go to work at the weekend and you just know that as it's a nice day, you will have to deal with a serious or fatal bike accident.

If you can come up with a workable solution then please do so.

As for cars cutting corners...of course bikes never do this, do they.....

As much as it pains me to say so, out of the last eight serious bike crashes I've been to, TWO of them were down to other vehicles..the other six were down to crap / stupid / downright dangerous riding.

Can't we just be honest for once...we know it's against the rules to speed, use black visors, race cans, overtake on solid whites etc. etc. but knowing that, we then go out, do what we know is wrong and then moan if the Police do something about it or we come into conflict with other road users .

Just my thoughts.........
Old 25-Apr-2004, 23:46
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
I agree Rushjob...we all have a choice.
I love to twist the throttle just like anyone else...I love the noise the race cans make and I would rather see my "rear end" nice and tidy with a smaller plate...But there are consequences...and I know there are.
Rather than moaning about it...stick to the limits...return to your standard cans and get the legal sized number plate back on...
Cant do it, can you???
I rest my case!:P
Old 26-Apr-2004, 00:46
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
A lot of my local country roads that I have been riding on for over 27 years have in the last 12 months had there speed limits reduced for no apparent reason, the hazards are still the same as they were 20 years or more ago except for the traffic density which in itself is increased by the speed limit reduction. The worst case of this that I have seen is the A329 running from Thame (Oxon) to the M40, which was once a 60mph limit with a couple of technical tight bends that had signs recommending a lower cornering speed one of which was 40mph. Now for several miles it is 30mph, nothing along the route has changed the entrance to the Oxfordshire golf course and a farm on one side are the only places of note along this road as they have been for years now.
60mph down to 30mph for miles, WHY, can't see it my self, soon it will be 30mph all the way from Lands End to John O' Groats.
I understand that there is a time and Place for everything and No I don't cut blind corners, thats laziness and on a bike it will get you killed or seriously injured. Percieved danger not just to myself but to others dictates a lot of how I ride. Thats why I do 30mph in built up areas and even slower past places where I expect children will be, like playing fields and schools.
I'll be glad to get over to the IOM in June where the speed limit over the mountain really is unrestricted. Yes I ride fast on country roads but keep it with in my abilities, I know you can't allow for every thing from dear to horse muck, but even at the speed limit people can crash into you. My worse accident was 100 yards from my home as it was then, on a housing estate with my parents following me in their car at about 20mph when a parked car I was passing decided to pull off the pathway and push me into a on coming car, leaving me laying in the road with my thigh snapped and sticking through the skin, giving my parent one hell of a scare.

How long before they ban bikes in the name of safety in our Nanny state.

Kev (having a RANT)

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit