Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Jun-2004, 19:33
GTL

Mood: me in a mood? NEVER!
bumped 996

been offered a 996 2000 model in yellow needs plastics and clocks, runs like a swiss watch. what do you think its worth repaired?? cos I am tempted to buy it, wont be on the register cos it is from the isle of man. would be nice to see what some of you guys come back with.
Old 15-Jun-2004, 12:21
Big Twin

If you dont mention its been repaired then would go for between 5000 and 6000, does it come with service history?
Old 15-Jun-2004, 20:20
GTL

hiya DJ not sure about the service history till I get the log book and contact last owner, thats if I risk it. I made an offer and he said he would let me know. just curious what guys on here would think it was worth in damaged condition.
Old 16-Jun-2004, 00:19
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
I'll second DJ's valuation, BUT never underestimate the cost of repairing bikes and getting them back on the road.

There's frequently other things damaged that you don't spot that add to the bill so i'd err on the side of caution.

Even when rebuilt depends on service history and number of owners. Its easy to track down an owner on the island and check the history if someone is buying it from you.

Difficult to value damaged bikes unseen but i wouldn't offer more than £2500 absolute tops and preferably £2000.

Why isn't the owner repairing it himself if he hasn't made a claim, or has he made a claim and it's written off?

Isle of Man is still part of UK and surely will be insured by a mainland insurance company so could be on the register.

Sorry to sound cautious but unless you've seen it or know/trust the seller i'd tread carefull.

Good luck
Old 16-Jun-2004, 01:00
GTL

because it is from the isle of man it isnt on our register as down as a right off in any category. I have had numerous cars from there bumped and it has been the same. I have not long repaired a 749 on CAT C so I know what you mean about the hidden expenses. the bike has been brought over from the island and is in a local salvage yard not far from me so I went to look over the bike and fired it up etc. hes asking a little more than you said you think it was worth but I made an offer and now I will just have to wait if he accepts. I have a 748 52 plate but wished I had got a 996 and this could be the cheapest way for me to do so. but hard to buy could be hard to sell.
Old 17-Jun-2004, 00:08
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
good luck

let us know the outcome
Old 17-Jun-2004, 00:19
GTL

cheers and yes I will let you know the outcome.