Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Aug-2004, 15:06

belts

How oftern should these be done? In accordance with the service manuel?
Or some people say every 4000miles?
Old 17-Aug-2004, 15:50
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Every two years at least, as the belts degrade over time - they go stiff and cause tight spots which means they can jump cogs or even crack and break.

Ducati recommends every 12K miles if you do that in more than two years as well, but 12K = Full Service and the belts get changed in this anyway.
Old 17-Aug-2004, 17:50
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
If the bike used regularly, not Red Lined, then you should have no problems with belts . 4 thou seems a little excesive unless hes been tracking it more than on the road. 10,000 plus miles is when I start to think about em . 4D
Old 17-Aug-2004, 18:46
Mille

Just had mine changed after 3 years !!? but had only covered approx 3K (I know a Ducati is for riding) according to the dealer thay were in good shape
Old 17-Aug-2004, 20:05
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Just had mine changed after 3 years !!? but had only covered approx 3K (I know a Ducati is for riding) according to the dealer thay were in good shape

The belts are routed through quite a tight radius (radii?) in some places, and if they are left in the same position for any length of time, which 3K miles in 3 years certainly sounds like, then they are very prone to becoming stiff at these points.

This is why you must change them every 2 years - they cost less than 100 quid for the pair but the engine could be written off if one belt jumps the cogs due to a tight spot in them.

Better safe than sorry, eh?
Old 18-Aug-2004, 11:52
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Luck you, I've done mine twice this year Already, and they'll be done again in the off season!!
Old 22-Aug-2004, 15:32

Quote:
Originally posted by antonye

The belts are routed through quite a tight radius (radii?) in some places, and if they are left in the same position for any length of time, which 3K miles in 3 years certainly sounds like, then they are very prone to becoming stiff at these points.

This is why you must change them every 2 years - they cost less than 100 quid for the pair but the engine could be written off if one belt jumps the cogs due to a tight spot in them.

Better safe than sorry, eh?

Costs a fair bit more to have them fitted though. Best thing to do with low mileage bikes is to at least start them regularly and keep them somewhere warm in the winter. Don't rev them too much after first starting as this is when they are most likely to slip due to stiffness.
Old 22-Aug-2004, 16:35
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
Huggy
Are you for real or were you trying to be funny!!
Perhaps you're not ready to own a Duke!!
These bikes are not only machines,they are far more than that & as such they should be looked after properly,which doesn't mean trying to save £2.50 on a VERY important service item!!
Old 22-Aug-2004, 16:39
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
Huggy
Oops,sorry,i've replied to wrong post! That outburst was meant for someone else!!