Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 13-Jul-2005, 18:56
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
I'd rather see a DSC trackday abroad and not restrict this to DD'ers.

Tim
I'd second that Tim
Much more likely to be a 'goer'

Have just had a chance to chat with Alan (who is at the moment up at Andy's) and both of them would agree with Skids & NB's comments.

Whilst this is a really good idea in principle, Al would not want to let his bike out of his sight - and def not want to 'not take all his spares/tools' etc as Fordie has already mentioned.

Neither of us are in particularly well paid jobs - nor do we have much holiday, but we do enjoy getting to most of the things the DSC does
For the last 2 years we have been unable to afford the time or the money to accompany Mark Hill to the Bemsee round at Croix - he leaves on the Weds, and doesnt return till late Sun or Monday. 4 or 5 days out of a precious 20 days annual holiday entitlement for one meeting has to be considered seriously by both of us.

Chris - please let us know who you travelled with, at that cost mate - we cant get anywhere near that price for a van with 2 or 3 bikes & 3 people on board

Just our 5p worth into the pot tho....

Looking forwards to hearing more info - and we are not discounting doing this totally, but at the present time would rather back a foreign trackday - or a 'no points scoring round'

Finally - you say 'expanding the series' for next year Chris?
We are just a little worried, as this seasons 6 meetings will have cost approx £600 alone in entries, without travelling, time off work on occasions for travelling, fuel to race etc (as well as the beers ) so newcomers (and some of existing owners/riders etc) might just find 10 or more rounds prohibitively expensive (without the introduction of an overseas race ) - and the series would no longer be the 'budget introduction to racing' it was originally aimed to be........in just one season......

Looking forwards to far more feedback & confirmation of info
C - and also Alan

[Edited on 13-7-2005 by CK and AK]
Old 13-Jul-2005, 19:56
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
I'd rather see a DSC trackday abroad and not restrict this to DD'ers.

Tim

Good shout Tim. An inclusive track day fine, but as for a DD round...

I'm with Fordie. What possible reason is there for taking the race series abroad when all the tracks you could possibly want are on the doorstep.

I also agree with JPM in the sense that if the DSC truly want's to be "The UK club for Today's Ducati Rider" then the race series should be firmly anchored in the UK. It would be much better to concentrate on spreading the club's appeal through racing on a wider variety of UK circuits and giving some value back to our northern friends for their subscription money. After all, if there weren't all of the grass roots members paying their subs into the club the DSC would never have been big enough to launch the race series in the first place, let's make sure every member gets an equal shout.

At the BMF we talked to a lot of potential members from all over the country about the success of the DD series and some were impressed enough to sign up based on that. A bit churlish and disingenuous to then say "Ahhh, but we're not coming round your way because it's too far and New Era don't use Croft or Knockhill anyway". What a slap in the face for regional organisers trying to raise interest in their part of the world.

OK so New Era doesn't use Croft or Knockhill, so does that mean it uses a tracks abroad then? If not, which club is hosting the proposed foreign round? If it's using someone other than New Era to host DD championship rounds then surely logic states that the DD championship could use New Era to host some rounds but other clubs host other rounds. It shouldn't take a large stretch of the imagination to work in circuits that are more geographically dispersed in this country should it?

I certainly wouldn't go to the expense and palaver of organising a foreign trip to watch a DD round, and I suspect that support from the UK would be inversally proportional to the distance from the UK and costs of the trip. I honestly can't see any positive reasons to do this other than to give the 3.5% of people in this club who are DD racers a bit more of a frisson and swagger to their racing. Unless of course somebody wants to start a Le Croix or Almeria region for the DSC

To be honest, from the tension in this thread the foreign round proposal seems to be another example of the DD series acting in a divisive and alienating way to the ordinary grass roots members when it should be inclusive.

I'm not levelling any criticism whatsoever at the current DD racers, only using DD as a way of refering to the whole championship package. With that caveat I would say "remember where you came from DD and don't turn your back on the folks that enable you to play". I may be making myself deeply unpopular, but someone's got to point up whenever DD is getting too big for it's boots and keep it real for the DSC members
Old 13-Jul-2005, 21:06
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisBushell

I will now duck down behind the parapet!

[Edited on 13-7-2005 by ChrisBushell]

You okay behind there Chris?

I'm gobsmacked what I've read above by some of you.

Might as well damn Chris eh? Let's not forget, if it had not been for Chris and a few others, there would not be a DSC. Now that was a gem of an idea.

Tim, overseas trackday, cool idea. Don't forget you're keys! :P
Old 13-Jul-2005, 21:08
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray

The North South divide is maybe another thread?

Ray.

Yes!
Old 13-Jul-2005, 21:10
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Jools

I'm not levelling any criticism whatsoever at the current DD racers, only using DD as a way of refering to the whole championship package.

So, who are you levelling this with Jools?
Old 13-Jul-2005, 21:23
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Quote:
Originally posted by Flanks
Quote:

[Edited on 13-7-2005 by ChrisBushell]

Might as well damn Chris eh? Let's not forget, if it had not been for Chris and a few others, there would not be a DSC. Now that was a gem of an idea.

Tim, overseas trackday, cool idea. Don't forget you're keys! :P

So even though Chris asked for opinion, you seem to be suggesting we should just keep quiet, let him go to the trouble of organising such an event, then just not turn up!
Or am I reading you wrong Flanks??
Old 13-Jul-2005, 21:24
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Quote:
Might as well damn Chris eh?
I've not seen any digs at Chris yet (unless I missed the), just the idea of a foreign round, wherever it may be.

I'm with Jools here, DD seems to be getting too big for its boots. It was a launch pad for new racers and now there's talk of foreign rounds? I'd be mightily disappointed if I had put all my efforts into my first year only to find it expanding beyond my means in the second year of racing.

Maybe my comments aren't welcome as I'm not a DD racer, but as Antonye said, it's not stopped me before
Old 13-Jul-2005, 21:26
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Quote:
Quote:

Flanks - Chris asked for opinions - therefore, there have been responses mate.

I trust what I have put isnt offensive to you? - in fact, I cannot find much in this thread that could be construed as offensive?

However, as has been covered before in other threads - I know that the comprehension of each persons written narrative can be construed by some as one thing, and by others as something totally different.

It all depends on how you read things.............
Old 13-Jul-2005, 21:28
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by CK and AK

It all depends on how you read things.............

Here here
Old 13-Jul-2005, 21:32
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Just wanted to add:

we'd like to do this again next year - maybe with AK in the seat

BUT as long as the complete rules are available BEFORE signing up again

AND

The Rounds are noted (eg: a maximum number of meetings)

Plea from grass roots members here:

Keep it UK based
Keep it to 6 meetings for the year

We can still just then have time (and the money for our road bikes) to do other DSC things like meets etc!

[Edited on 13-7-2005 by CK and AK]