Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Dec-2004, 01:10
500SD

Cool runnings

So I went out for a short ride on Saturday...

... and the thing was running rough - slow tickover, stalling at junctions, slow pick up. The air temp was 4 degC and the water temp didn't get above 70. I stopped to use a cash til and left it running so that by the time I got back on, it had got to 85 and was acting normally. Two minutes of riding and it had dropped back to 70 and acting up. I guess the mapping it quite temperature sensitive.

Question is: Is the thermostat stuck open or rated too cool for the conditions? (Yes, I could take it apart & stick it in the kettle to check but don't fancy it)
Old 17-Dec-2004, 02:28
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

It depends on the year of the bike. The additional fuel enrichment by the computer cuts-out at coolant temperatures about 65°C. Before 1995 or so, enrichment continued until 85°C.

On cooler days, you should expect to see lower coolant temperatures. Unfortunately if you run too cool, the bike isn't operating at it's best efficiency. In this case, the most practical solution is to cover a portion of the radiator to reduce cooling air flow and raise the coolant temperature. How much radiator area you cover depends on how low an ambient air temperature you expect. You'll make your best power at 85°C. Trucks in arctic climates, for example, will run with 90% of the radiator covered.
Old 17-Dec-2004, 17:15
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Duct tape works well for covering radiators-racing twostrokes as we do, the talk in the paddock is of the day being a 'three strip day' or a two strip day' etc-you get the picture.

John
Old 17-Dec-2004, 18:46
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Today my Multistrada oil temp gauge didn't move above 'Low' and show a reading of 40 degrees, still well below normal operating temperature until i'd done 18 miles on the way to work (mixed heavy traffic in town, followed by motorway, then more heavy town traffic). It was very chilly and raining heavily.

Its usually upto normal operating temp after 5 or 6 miles before i reach the motorway.

Just goes to show how long it can take to warm up properly when its COLD! Hailstones as well, England in December, don't you just love it. Wheres my car keys
Old 18-Dec-2004, 16:49
500SD

you should just see about 70oC to 76oC that is the normal range when riding at speed, in a built up area in summer it might climb to 102-105oC which will drop back to 70-76 when you get back up to speed.

If your bike is not running smooth at these temps, there is something else wrong imho
Old 18-Dec-2004, 23:19
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Rally
... and the thing was running rough - slow tickover, stalling at junctions, slow pick up.
Had similar problem a short while ago, till it went in for second service. After that it's run OK.
One thing they did point out was that the display bike model (when you turn ignition on) was for wrong model.
I've only just worked out how to change the time so changing the model number is beyond me. Anyhooos, in garage-speak (it may well have been bull), they say the mapping is linked to the display.
Were they taking the psss? Don't know but its running fine now.
Old 18-Dec-2004, 23:51
500SD

You know, I'm going to have to check that Alan. My first thought was "Nah" 'cos I know that it is set to 999S... but I've had the battery out to recharge it and maybe it has re-set to something else...?