Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Oct-2005, 22:27

Mood: desperately seeking ...summer
Hey Spank
You got your bi-p within about a week of me. Mine has done nearly 1700 miles and it cuts out pretty much once a trip. I had it adjusted at first service but it obviously needs another look at. Mine idles a lot lower - at about 1000 but occasionally seems to be about 500.
You can't get rid of though! Mine is get smoother all the time - just great!!!
Old 17-Oct-2005, 23:44
500SD

Mood: happy
Mine's done 8500 miles in 18 months and it just keeps geting better
Old 17-Oct-2005, 23:52
GTL

Quote:
Originally posted by Spank
When I first got the 749 at the end of August you lovely people told me how th adjust the tickover up so that it didn't keep stalling.
I took it for it's first service and the garage turned it back down a bit.
As the weather turned cold the bike would keep stalling again at juctions etc.
So I've had the bung out of the airbox to turn it up again. I can get it to tickover at about 2000rpm for a few seconds and then it drops down to just over a 1000rpm again. No matter how much I turn the tickover screw I can't get it to maintain a tickover as high as when I first adjusted it (1500rpm). It isn't stalling as much but it is ****ing me off to the extent that if I can't sort it and I ride another V-Twin thats nearly as good I might get rid. Or even go back to a jap four. Any Ideas, I just don't tolerate machines that don't run properly and I don't see why I should have to waste money on bullshit power commanders and things on a standard bike.

If you are adjusting the large screw behind the small black bung on the l/h side on the airbox that is the air bypass screw and there is another one at the front and you are probably putting the balance completely out by only adjusting one!!
Old 18-Oct-2005, 00:20
Mille

Mood: Need spares
I've suffered similar problems. I found the stall most common if I come to a stop quick and just shut the throttle off. I've adjusted my riding style and just blip the throttle as I've pulled the clutch in for a stop. Seems to prevent the stalls for me.
Old 18-Oct-2005, 00:44
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by tricky
I've suffered similar problems. I found the stall most common if I come to a stop quick and just shut the throttle off. I've adjusted my riding style and just blip the throttle as I've pulled the clutch in for a stop. Seems to prevent the stalls for me.

That's the one! Had the same problem but I refused to live with it. I had to blip the throttle on the old BRit bikes I used to ride, but shouldn't have to do it on a modern fuel injected bike! I talked to my local dealer and they sorted it - been fine ever since.
Old 18-Oct-2005, 10:08
Montjuic

Hi HW

Did the dealer tell you what he did to resolve the problem? mine has been adjusted twice by the dealer and it still has the same problem as described above.

I will say that the bike feels much stronger now it has been adjusted but it still has this annoying problem.

I have just started to use 97RON fuel to see what difference it makes.

Reards
Old 18-Oct-2005, 10:18
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Dave - it's a balancing act of cam timing, CO2 settings and idle. You have to get all three correct for it to behave itself.