Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Jun-2005, 14:25
GTL

More won\'t start

Starter motor on my 748 seems to have packed up. All other electrics work, fuel pump switches on etc. I've cleaned up connection to s/motor (rubber boot was full of water) but no joy. Wires to regulator are okay. I laid a spanner across the 2 terminals on the starter relay which sparked but absolutely no response from s/motor. Should I replace the relay or is it likely to be the s/motor?

Cheers,

Iain C.
Old 11-Jun-2005, 15:54
500SD

Have you tried powering the starter motor straight off a battery? The car battery plus jump leads would do it.

You're not having much luck recently are you!

Cheers, Neil.
Old 11-Jun-2005, 16:46
Big Twin

If you're getting a spark at the solenoid whien you short out the contacts, I suppose that means you're getting power to the solenoid, so I assume that counts out kill switch, igntion switch, sidestand cut-out, and associated wiring as culprits.

I suppose that only leaves the solenoid and starter motor, and the wiring between them and the battery.

Can you get the solenoid to "click"? If you can, then it's not faulty.

Luckily solenoids fail more often than starter motors.
As they're considerably cheaper.....
Old 11-Jun-2005, 17:17
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
when you bypass the solenoid is there any noise (electrical as if the starter is spinning but not turning the engine ?
Old 11-Jun-2005, 18:13
GTL

Thanks all.
Neil, I tried your jump lead suggestion but nowt. With normal starting relay makes definite click but not a peep from the s/motor, so looks like the expensive option. Anyone know what they cost new? There's one on ebay 2nd hand for £189 which makes me whimper to think what they are new!
Old 11-Jun-2005, 19:07
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Iain before you go out and buy one. did you try starting it off the bikes battery. Try using jump leads to make sure the battery is not flat.

The reason I say this is because a few years ago after going to WSB at Silverstone in the rain. The bie wouldn't start the next day. It turned out that water had got into the alarm system and this had immobilised the bike.
Old 11-Jun-2005, 22:00
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello

dukess1999 I bought a second hand starter motor last year for a 748bp for £20, if indeed this is your problem,

I would ring around some breakers, as the one on ebay is a little over priced.

But I would look at this being your last option, as stated before its not a common fault starter motors packing up, be careful if you do disconnect/connect the nut/wire going into the starter motor as this can damage the wires/connectors internally.

hope you find the problem soon.

regards

TopiToo
Old 19-Jun-2005, 16:49
Montjuic

hi sounds the same as a starting problem i had. the earth wire to engine by the crankcase breather had worked loose.

hope this helps.
Old 24-Jun-2005, 10:35
GTL

Thanks Sheeny, that's precisely what the problem was. Unfortunately the bike was in the shop before I read your post. Turns out I need new rockers as well so I suppose its a 'blessing' in disguise...
Old 24-Jun-2005, 12:11
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Just a thought, I remember Nelly telling me that he has come across this a few times and its just one of the block connectors behind the battery can work slightly loose.

May be worth checking them or give Nelly at Cornerspeed a ring on 01623 758877.

It worked on a friends bike.