Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 01-Nov-2005, 11:29
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Return of licence

Ok I know it's another question but how long should the "authorities" hold on to your licence when its sent in to have points added for speeding ?.

Sent mine in 2 weeks ago with my £60 contribution to Mr. B. Liars pension fund and wrote on the form asking that it be returned promptly as I needed it as we were going abroad on holiday and renting a car.

No sign of it so I rang them yesterday and they eventually found my documents, when asked why they hadn't been returned I was told "there is a backlog in the system". I asked whether I should cancel my holiday on that basis or whether they could get their ars* in gear and send the licences back. I also suggested that if they were getting a backlog that the profits could perhaps be used to employ more staff. Apparently no revenue is raised from speeding fines !!! so more staff are out of the question.

If I don't get my licences back by tomorrow can I claim for the loss of my holiday due to their incompetence ?
Old 01-Nov-2005, 11:50
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Here's a story for you......

- Lost my wallet with Australian licence
- Applied to Australian licensing people to have certificate showing licence qualifications sent to me.
- Sent certificate to DVLA for transfer and issue of UK licence.
- DVLA issues UK licence with car endorsement only
- Licence sent back to DVLA for motorcycle endorsement to be added (September 14)
- DVLA claim they need to contact Australian licensing people for confirmation - why I don't know as the certificate clearly stated that I had a full bike endorsement.
- DVLA send fax to Australia on September 26th (that's two weeks after my Registered mail package would have arrived with the DVLA). Why fax and not something modern and faster like email I don't know.
- As of today, November 1st, I still have no license in my posession.

I've phoned them 5 times, I've asked for the case to be prioritised. Apparently they couldn't/wouldn't follow up their initial fax until October 26th.

My main reason for missing the DSC Brands track day was the fact that I had no licence back from the DVLA.

Really quite unimpressed.

[Edited on 1-11-2005 by phillc]
Old 01-Nov-2005, 14:06
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
It can get worse than that mate, there are very well documented cases of people sending in their UK licence for a change of address or something and having it returned with no motorcycle entitlement. When challenged DVLC then say they have no record of the motorcycle entitlement and unless you can prove it to them you will have to re-take your test. This actually happened to a police motorcycle rider-funnily enough they backed down in his case. When I last sent my licence in for a change of address I made sure I had a photocopy of the licence incase they cocked up, and I made VERY sure to check it thoroughly when I got it back.

John
Old 01-Nov-2005, 14:36
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
It can get worse than that.

I got a producer for something quite trivial a couple of days after I had sent my license to Swansea for a change of address.

Hmmmmm..... 5 days to produce my license and up to 3 weeks to get my license back after it had ground it's way through the system.

I phoned Swansea and asked them whether they could just return it unprocessed or fast track it somehow - you could hear them s******ing - but they said this was not an uncommon thing to happen and that they would issue me with a 'certificate of entitlement to drive' which the police would be happy with. Sure enough the certificate turned up in the post - on the last day I had to produce my documents.

Took it down the local nick along with my other documents and the local plod took one look at the said 'certificate' and sneered "but that's not a license is it sir..." in the way that only some people can call you 'sir' and make it sound as if you're actually akin to something unpleasant stuck on their shoe. Despite assurances from the DVLA that their certificate was valid the local nick proceeded to charge me for failure to produce my license. I kicked up a fuss and the desk sergeant got involved, then someone higher up and so on until I had about 5 layers of heirarchy standing behind the desk arguing the toss. Every single one of them was behind their mates pedantry and wouldn't budge.

They didn't back down until I got a solicitor involved, but it cost me an hour of solicitors time
Old 01-Nov-2005, 14:54
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Paul,

When did you send your licence? Local Speed tax office or the DVLA.

I'm guessing the former?

Maybe the last thing to do is say you need it back in a hurry.

If it was me I'd be down there to collect in person but I'd guess they are sealed in a bunker to avoid unwanted "help" with their backlog.

If its the DVLA I'd surrunder now, you only need to know one thing, the reason why its located where it is was beacause of the large number of unemployed in the area, they can turn the simplest of tasks into a major project employing hundreds.

Ray

Ray
Old 01-Nov-2005, 18:28
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Don't suppose I should be surprised really as f*ck all else seems to work in this country anymore. Why should the "Safety" camera rip off squad be any better than the rest of our services
Old 01-Nov-2005, 18:51
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Best to have at least three licences these days, one is absolutely useless.

Also anyone thinking of sending their licence off for a new one should say they have lost it. Get the new one and check it when it turns up, then throw the old one away. better still keep it for track days when yours is with the wolit abusers.

Beet them at there own game.
Old 01-Nov-2005, 21:57
Ducati Corse

I don't think the camera vans have anything to do with the DVLA.
Old 01-Nov-2005, 23:02
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
I don't think the camera vans have anything to do with the DVLA.

No nothing at all, it's all done via local court fines department.
Old 03-Nov-2005, 22:18
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Damn! I have recently had my wallet stollen and I dred trying to get a new licence!