Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Apr-2006, 18:33
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
leaking Ohlins fork - can I still ride it ?

Looks like my 749 Ohlins forks have suffered the fate of many and one has started to leak.

The left hand fork has had traces of oil all over it since I picked it up in Jan. I left it parked in one place for about 4 weeks and it left quite a large oil patch under the left leg

Now it seems to have stopped leaking .... that or all the oil has leaked out I'm going with the oil has leaked out rather than a miraculous self repair.

At the end of the day I'm not bothered about it as I should get these seals replaced under warranty, but, can I ride the bike now ? and will I be OK riding it the 50 or so miles to my "local" dealer ?

Would it be advisable to put some fresh oil in before I try to ride the bike anywhere ?
Old 16-Apr-2006, 18:44
everton

Had the same problem on my 999R and had both fork legs (complete - not just the seals) replaced under warranty.

[Edited on 16-4-2006 by everton]
Old 16-Apr-2006, 19:21
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
good old Ohlins - leak everytime.

if you have a puddle under the fork, dont ride it, just not worth it..

If your R is still under warranty then ducati assist will get it collected and taken to the nearest dealer, they'll then replace the whole fork as Ducati say the ohlins forks are NOT servicable items. down side is that you may well have to wait a while for ohlins to send one.

The tools, specs and details for refreshing ohlins forks are not available from ducati, so most dealers dont have the tools or know how to change the seals. - real frustration of mine this - Ducati say that even on the big service you DONT refurb the oil on ohlins model bikes, but the service costs and labour times are the same as the showa models!!??!!

So. rant over. if your local dealer has the tools, seals etc to change them, see if they will and bill ducati for it (you'll get your bike back sooner) chances are they wont and will prefer to fit a new fork leg, its easier for them.

good luck.

[Edited on 16-4-2006 by wilf]
Old 16-Apr-2006, 19:27
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by wilf

If your R is still under warranty then ducati assist will get it collected and taken to the nearest dealer,

SH*T .... Wilf, any contact details for Ducati Assist .... never had to use them.

I could get my bike to a dealer (maybe JHP), in a van, would this be quicker than using Ducati Assist.

How long do you think I will be without the bike ?
Old 16-Apr-2006, 19:34
500SD

My personal opinion is no and based purely on the fact that oil can get on your discs and pads, not only no suspension but no BRAKES too and you knacker your pads.

Im no expert but have seen a monster suffer from this.
Old 16-Apr-2006, 19:39
Ducati Dealer
GTL

ducati assist - dont have the number handy but give ben a call tomorrow at the shop (10am-4pm), he has it.

Ducati assist just sub it to RAC / AA so should be same day/ next day.

If the dealer can change the seal, it should be just a day or so (if they can fit you in)

if they cant and you need a new fork leg, you can call craig tomorrow at the shop and get him to check if there is on available at the factory (he can check ducati stock online with the softway link we have) if they are not in stock, dont hold your breath, if they are , it'll be 4-6 days.

If the fork leg is not in stock, AND, If you can get it to JHP, AND, they are happy to do the seal change and paperwork for the warranty claim, then that would be the best way to go. But most Ducati stores stick to the official Ducati line and will want to replace the fork let complete. otherwise its much more paperwork, labour and mucking about for the dealer, and ducati will only pay for the seal and about 15 mins of labour (at half price!), so you can see why the dealers dont want to spend 2 hours changing the seals.

btw : have your registered the bike warranty in your name yet? you'll need that done, bet you haven't!!!! if not, fill in the new keeper page in the back of the service book pronto and get it in the post to DUK.
Old 16-Apr-2006, 19:44
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by wilf

btw : have your registered the bike warranty in your name yet? you'll need that done, bet you haven't!!!! if not, fill in the new keeper page in the back of the service book pronto and get it in the post to DUK.

You know me too well

Guess it's a phone call to JHP and see what we can sort.
Old 16-Apr-2006, 19:47
Ducati Dealer
GTL

good luck mate. sure they'll be able to sort it without any problems.
Old 16-Apr-2006, 20:22
500SD

Mood: Cool as **** !
Ohlins say the seals have a 20hr service life !,i had mine done 4 times last year,they've just gone again this weekend !,i currentley have gixer thou seals in,as i was told they offer a longer life,clearley not !,if you can get them under warranty,you'll be lucky !,as they are are deemed a serviceable item !,k-tech's the place,about a wonner !
Old 16-Apr-2006, 20:24
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Reed
Ohlins say the seals have a 20hr service life !,i had mine done 4 times last year,they've just gone again this weekend !,i currentley have gixer thou seals in,as i was told they offer a longer life,clearley not !,if you can get them under warranty,you'll be lucky !,as they are are deemed a serviceable item !,k-tech's the place,about a wonner !

Check out Wilf's reply ref: warranty .... he's a Ducati dealer so will know what's possible.