Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 19-Oct-2005, 13:44
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
phil, not wanted to teach you to suck eggs but have you been on a 140+bhp 998/999 varient yet?

my 999 has 146 bhp. and is absolutely amazing on the road and track its just too fast really. i personally wouldnt want any more. if anyone comes past me on the road they really are asking for trouble as i ride far too fast as it is!

welcome to have a go on mine anytime you fancy it.

i cant believe you will come back saying "yeah its ok but i could do with with abit more ommph!"
Old 19-Oct-2005, 13:44
GTL

I have to agree to a large extent with Jools. I traded my 916 for a new R1 (partly because noone wanted to but the 916!). The Yamaha is a spectacularly fast bike, and the acceleration is unbelievable. I've only had it a few months, but already I can see that the attraction will wane, if for no other reason than licence preservation. I know the throttle works both ways, but the will-power needed not to open it up... Then I'm sure I'll go back to anothe Ducati (996SPS or R I expect).

Andrew
Old 19-Oct-2005, 13:52
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
As a Ducati site, its no surprise that we favour Ducatis.

If you can afford it, have both, you can then get your fill by owning and riding both.

Those that can't afford both, can make a decision as to what they buy and ride.

For me, I went from a 996R to a ZX10R and back to a 996R again - my choice, it was right for me.

If you can afford it, buy what you want to buy, ride what you want to ride - just make sure you enjoy it.

Tim
Old 19-Oct-2005, 14:56
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
These modern 1000cc IL4s can be evil things, I rode Dallas's ZX10R and after a few laps parked it as I felt it was going to bite me big time, I was not impressed. He has now seen the light and has got himself a 996SPS and has the ZX10R for sale. He pulled out of the Thruxton NG meeting after letting Whitham out on the ZX10 at Donny and after a few laps which weren't that fast Whitham also decided to park it as he thought it evil and advised Dallas not to race it at Thruxton or Catle Combe as he would end up getting seriously injured. And all this was with a top spec Ohlins shock fitted.
Whele also got bit by his new R1 which he had replaced his 996SPS with, hence his cast at the Apex trackday at Brands GP, he has since spent a fair few quid on having the suspension sorted.
So as I see it these latest offerings from Japan are not the be all and end off of motorbikes as the majority of riders can't make use of what they have to offer. The Isle of Man production TT is proof of this where international licence holders struggle to put in fast lap times. A case in point was in 2004 my mate Adrian on my ZXR400 lapped quicker than some riders on GSXR1000s.
Alos back at Pembrey the other week a guy I know who started racing at the same time as me lapped eight tenths quicker in his 1st race on his ZX10R than I did on my 583 Desmo Due racer.
I also notice that Phil Bevan has not bettered his Pembrey outright lap record set on his EX INS BSB Ducati dispite now being on a EX BSB GSXR1000.

If I was looking for a newer and faster bike I would have to test a 999S first and see if it offered me what I was looking for.
Old 23-Oct-2005, 18:49
MotoGP God

As mentioned above
Dallas has some ZX10R goodies for sale
http://www.ngroadracing.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1585
Old 23-Oct-2005, 21:11
888 at Last !!!

Besides an Aprilia Rsv-R, i have had 2 CBR's (the last one being the RR), 2 R6, 2 R1's (02 and 04).
Yeah, i liked all the Jap bikes i had, especially the CBR RR and, most of all, the 04 R1.
But they didn't last much as i currently have an MV F4 1000 and a 999R.
Yes the 04 R1 has more power than any of my current rides and is a great bike to ride BUT it's not all about power......... the handling, general feeling, character, noise etc... of either the MV or the Duc does it to me.
Old 23-Oct-2005, 21:19
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I know what fil2 is after though, I crave it sometimes too.

Just that outright feeling of adrenaline when you crack open the throttle and it feels like you just hit fast forward on the world. The absolute sensation of sheer speed. Imagine the first time on a new IL4 1000cc screaming down Park Straight at Cadwell, going over the rise and screaming in your helmet at the sheer insanity of the speed you're now doing and starting to panic seeing as your old braking marker simply won't do anymore, frantically searching for another!

Ooh, I think I need a moment ....

I'm hoping my 998R will give me that, I plan on taking her to Cadwell next year

If it doesn't, I may need a lengthy chat with a certain Mr Neil Spalding ....

... and a new credit card ...
Old 24-Oct-2005, 00:57
MotoGP God

Dallas is selling ZX10R bits and buying bits like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Old 24-Oct-2005, 15:46
Mille

it's strange that you have a 750 and think the way to power is jap, I had a ZX12R before my 999s and the main difference is when you go past 150mph.
The 999 is quick in third, as quick as you can use but slows down after third which is 150mph but the ZX12R keeps going fast to 180 mph,
it would be nice for the 999 to keep the acceleration going hard past third but I will settle for that for now, think 999.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit