Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Aug-2003, 07:29

Mood: for lurve
The great Ducati rip off

You know, after nearly two years of happy Ducati ownership, I'm getting a little pi55ed off. You always know that premier brands will demand high money, but this lat one takes the biscuit.

I'm searching for a new chain. Checking out all the sources as you do, typical price about 80 quid. Local Duke dealer 83.99. Anyway my mate suggested a local shop, and not to tell them it's for a Ducati. Hey presto, a brand spanking new IRIS gold coloured X-ring chain 106 links (istead of the required 96) all for 39.99. Nearly snatched his hand off!!

Okay so Ive got to take off a few links, that should take me 10 mins tops.

Just goes to show, tell 'em what they need to know, and save some cash.....
Old 08-Aug-2003, 07:40
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
I think you may have made a bad move mate, have heard that IRIS is crap, one was so bad it was flexing & hitting the tyre sidewall.
If you have already fitted it check the play on it while it is on the rear sprocket & what side play it has.
A good quality chain will be in the £80 region, just remember the amount of power that is put through your chain, if it snaps it can destroy your cases.
Sorry if this a bit of a negative reply.

Chris.

[Edited on 8-8-2003 by chris.p]
Old 08-Aug-2003, 08:18
Mille

Mood: Fully track-day'ed up!
Have to agree 100%.Dare say there are some areas mechanichally you may be able to scrimp on a little.I wouldnt suggest this is one of them however.
As mentioned by chris.p the torque of a Duke is more than most and will surely be a recipe for disaster when mated with a cheap chain.
Should it snap and eat the hugger,rear wheel,sprockets,swinging arm,side cases etc etc the £40 you "saved" probably wont fele quite so good.There have been many examples of this (not just Dukes) and the consequences are un-thinkable.

Do it properly............

Even if it dont snap i bet it only lasts half the time making it the '"same" price anyway !

Best of luck.Regard Syer.
Old 08-Aug-2003, 09:19
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
I buy a chain for a large Honda for my Jota, open the packaging and hey presto one DID 630 chain the correct leanth and size and less than half price than from a normal shop!
Old 08-Aug-2003, 10:03
Mille

Mood: Fully track-day'ed up!
I thought a 748 was 525 pitch and a 9*6/998 was 530 pitch ?

630 ! Jeez,thats for a chain driven caterpillar earthmover aint it !

Or was that a typo error bob ?

Syer.
Old 08-Aug-2003, 10:36
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
We have a saying in Maintanance engineering
BUY CHEAP , BUY TWICE !
You have also got to account for the extra down time/man power to replace the item twice & thats only if the Cheap item does not break down , which will nealy always happen when you need it most, whilst under most pressure !
You pay your money & take your chances !
Only my two cents worth though !
Old 08-Aug-2003, 12:00
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Totto,

If only you were the geezer I was trying to sell a 30K IT Solution too recently...

The competitive offer was considerably less but also had considerably less cover/service. You just can't convince some people that higher price does sometimes mean higher quality.

Hope the chain goes okay Geo-taff
Old 08-Aug-2003, 15:50
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Guido

you should try selling a $300million IT solution!!!
Old 08-Aug-2003, 17:07

Mood: for lurve
Don't get me wrong lads, I'm not trying to 'scrimp' and never have. As well you all know the cost of running these things.

I'm a little concerned now about the quality of my purchase. But, and from an engineering background it does look sturdy enough, and definintely better than the DID that has come off. I know it's just the sales pitch on the box but the wear rates compare well with those of DID and EK.

I had a DID X-ring on my CBR6 a few years back that let itself go smashing up the back end, so I figure your right about paying and taking chances too. You never can tell.

I guess, chain care is the most important, and thanks to your advise, I will keep a close eye on it's wear and side movement (if any).

But my main point was, not always to fire the Ducati brand at after market parts, as they include an additional premium. Obviously made to fit items are essential but as always it pays to shop around.

Cheers Ian
Old 08-Aug-2003, 17:30
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Its the same with most Bike companys, My bro was looking for a wheel bearing for his KMX125 a few years ago, so i sent him to the bearing dealer i used for work & he got a wheel bearing for £4 that was the same only it did not come from Kawasaki & 1/4 the price
It always pays to check first , then after go to the dealer !