Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 10-Mar-2006, 16:26
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Wheelies

Right now am a bit more used to riding this blooming KTM i am going to learn how to wheelie
I have found a nearby industrial estate that is closed to traffic out of hours & has a nice straight ish road
So i am loooking for hints on how to start

Should i be in second or first ? , clutch or not ?

I am thinking second gear and gas it should be a good place to stark , any help welcome
Old 10-Mar-2006, 16:56
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Go with a mate in case things go wrong. Then he can help you.
Old 10-Mar-2006, 17:47
Ducati Corse

I can tell you about doing it on mountian bikes!

The main problem is that you don't get the front wheel high enough. You need to find the balance point. If its too low you tend to use more throttle to try and keep it up, you then run out of revs.

Trouble is, the balance point for sustained wheelies is actually very high and it fells like you are going to go over the back.

Once its up and at that balance point you keep it there with throttle control and back brake. You'll need very little revs or you can change gear and just go faster.
Old 10-Mar-2006, 17:47
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by doogalman
Go with a mate in case things go wrong. Then he can help you.

Pick me up you mean
Old 10-Mar-2006, 17:54
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Ahhh... my kinda thread is this!

2nd ought to be fine on the ktm.
Roll along on a neutral throttle at a speed where you feel the bike is just trying to kick into some sort of powerband and then open it up. Without the clutch, it's vital to get the engine in that sweet spot before pulling one up.

There's a lot more to it than that, but without someone to teach you properly then you got to muck around. Took me a whole day to learn enough to find a balance point, and I still don't get it every time.

[Edited on 10-3-2006 by NBs996]
Old 10-Mar-2006, 17:57
Big Twin

NBs996 , when you say open it up , you mean sharp twist or roll ?

Old 10-Mar-2006, 17:59
Ducati in my Blood

sharp twist, else it'll come up too slow and you'll run out of revs pretty quick.
Old 10-Mar-2006, 18:00
Ducati in my Blood

But don't hold it open or you'll need a new Arai!!!
Old 10-Mar-2006, 18:04
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by NBs996
But don't hold it open or you'll need a new Arai!!!

Its ok i got a new one at the bike show
Old 10-Mar-2006, 18:22
Mille

Rubbish at them and not getting any better

No sure about your KTM but I've been to a couple of wheelie schools and 'hung out' with a few crazee guys on Gixxer 1000's and I still can't do them. My mind says yes but my hand says no. Somedays though I fare better than others but with no real consistency.

What I have learnt though is that power wheelies are much easier than clutch wheelies and it is best to start on power wheelies before you attempt to do the clutch versions.

Power wheelies (I've been told) should be done on steady revs just as then power kicks in where it makes a fair bit of torque. The first thing to learn is being able to keep the bike at a constant speed (neither accelerating nor braking) so that the bike is as steady as possible then snap the throttle shut and then wide open and up she'll come. Keep it open until you **** yourself and then it'll come back down. The trick to doing this is to rotate your throttle hand forward and round about an inch so that you get a quicker throttle action. It is also harder to keep a constant throttle as your hand need to get used to the position. When I did my wheelie schools, that is all we practised at first, being able to ride along, at a constant speed without looking at the speedo. Sounds boring but essential for beginners when pulling power wheelies.

I practised this on 1200 Bandits on an airfield in a Galaxy far, far away. I managed to 'get it up' but never in a consistent manner and you are right, power wheelies on a big bike accelerate pretty fast so not the type of trick you want to do down your local high street.

Once you have the first and second gear wheelies mastered then you can attempt the clutch method. I spent another day with 'Jimmy Fireblade' trying this technique but never really got to grips with it. The only bit of info I can pass on is that the bike comes up much quicker and agressively and so can catch you out but it does mean that you get it up to the balance point - the 'Holy Grail' of wheelies. When you've sussed the balance point, the world is your oyster. I have also heard that practising on a pushbike is good as it gives you the spatial awareness of how high you actually are and the feel needed for 'hoisting a top minger'.

One last thing is always wear a back protector. My mate was getting really high and good at them but I saw a few close calls so gave him mine just to put my mind at rest.

Be careful though and as always 'caveat emptor'.

simon

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit