Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 05-Apr-2004, 20:48

Advice needed on a new purchase

Can anyone give me some advice ? i am in the market for a new bike as i have parted company with my cbr600 (it went one way i went the other) i am looking to buy a Ducati as they have always made me drool, is the 749 Dark a good place to start if so can you tell me the best dealer to go to, i am from Nottingham but prepared to travel. thank you. Driller.
Old 05-Apr-2004, 21:25
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I guess it starts with how much you want to spend?
How much power?
What age bike?
Followed by what sort of bike, superbike, monster, sports tourer etc? not forgetting colour!

I note you say 749(forgetting which model for a moment) You should maybe try one back to back with other versions, going up through the range?
Old 05-Apr-2004, 21:38
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
yep test rides
thats the way to do it
but bare in mind the duke is a totaly different animal, the first time you ride one you'll probably think there is some thing wrong with the bike, but no it's just got some charicter and attitude.

hope you find one that suits
p.s it's always worth keeping an eye on the market place section of this site
Old 05-Apr-2004, 22:04
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Driller,Sorry to hear about you parting company with your bike,hope you got away with out to much pain. Seeing is believing and as Glyn said try to get a test ride first. Im sure you will not be disapointed with the pure grunt of a V twin. Nothing like the ride of a V twin.Whole new ball game. Going straight into the world of the 749 is fine if you can afford it, there are some very good buys in the 748 market though. We have in the club quite a few 748/996/998 riders purchasing the 749/999 and all have found it a great bike and having been following them lately can confirm there go well as you would expect from a Ducati. Im sure if you try one you will be smitned so bewear . 4D

[Edited on 5-4-2004 by Fordie]
Old 05-Apr-2004, 22:43
Mille

Mood: .
I also parted company with my CBR600FX at the start of the year, although under more amicable terms and have since become the well chuffed owner of a 748. Never rode one before i bought it, just wanted one. It rocks.

It's like chalk and cheese. After 200 miles yesterday i woke up today and thought i had had a right good kick in...
Old 05-Apr-2004, 22:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Welcome Driller!...
Mines a dark 750 s ie.
Best purchase I have ever made ...
Old 06-Apr-2004, 09:24
Bevel Head

Mood: sleepy
New.........Whatever tickles your boat, test ride as many as you can.
Used........The 748 is a beaut and with a bit of skill you can pick up a relative bargain.
Old 06-Apr-2004, 10:07
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
DON'T FORGET TO TRY THE MULTISTRADA!!

PS KwikB, for a schoolteacher you do appear to omit or misuse the apostrophe with alarming frequency! Is this just illustrative of the falling educational standards of today? :P

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by luckywhiteheather]
Old 06-Apr-2004, 10:15
everton

749R or 999R m8.

Best & most beautiful bikes on the planet.........don't go for that old technology.

If you want something really different take LWH's advice and try the MultiStrada.........what a blast

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by everton]
Old 06-Apr-2004, 15:27
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Driller,

Make sure you test ride before you buy. The V twin experience is very different to and CBR 6. Went from a FT CBR 6 to a 996, still enjoy riding the CBR but for different reasons.
If you buy used just make sure its got a decent service history. A Ducati will require a lot more looking after than a Honda. It all depends how much money you have to play with, how long you intend to keep the bike etc.
If you are going for the Classic shape try and get a 2000 or later spec bike so you get the five spokes, ti coated forks etc.

You can have new motor technology in a beautiful wrapper!! 998bp, 998s, 998r, 998 FE, 998r. But entry level on these is £8500 used, not that much more than a 749 dark?

Yer makes yer choice and pays yer money

Ray

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit