Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.
Closed Thread

Old 02-May-2005, 16:56
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by roblott
It would appear that he with the most money wins

No it’s still down to the ability of the rider, but I think if Andy 583 was on Ian’s bike 620 he would have passed him. I also think if he was on Jeff’s bike and Jeff was on Andys, Jeff wouldn’t have won.

Ian rode his socks off but Andy rode with his pans off from were I was. hat off to you mate
Old 02-May-2005, 19:06
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
Quote:
Originally posted by CK and AK
Ian - not taking anything away from you mate - you rode a blinding race
Andy reckoned even with any extra power, he would have had trouble getting round you

I think this thread needs to get back to butch's question tho........
Calm down its only a thread dear!
Hats of to all the riders they ALL did a graet job,and i most certainly was not having a pop or trying to devalue anyones efforts at Cadwell but i really do think that with some carefull concideration this thorny matter can be resolved.
Time is not on our side though as i know for a fact that the phones at Baines's and Jhp will be busy tomorro.
Old 02-May-2005, 19:24
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
one thing is for sure, if competing next year it will HAVE to be a 620 at least. Looking at guys far more capable than I on that short circuit struggling...
Old 02-May-2005, 19:30
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Ok folks, there have been some interesting comments made on this thread and I have had a couple of calls this afternoon from people with an interest in this discussion.

Rather than post my own personal views, I will be speaking to the Racing committee tomorrow and we will post up our considered reply, to the issues raised.
Old 02-May-2005, 19:30
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
Oh look 4 classes on one grid

Class 1:- 583cc M600 & 600SS models
Class 2:- 674cc M600 & 600SS models with a bigbore kit
Class 3:- 620cc M620, 620SS and 620 Multistrada models
Class 4:- 680cc M620, 620SS and 620 Multistrada models with a big bore kit.

except there is only 1 class in desmodue:

The motorcycle must be based on an air-cooled 2 Valve Ducati Twin cylinder produced since 1992, displacing no more than 675cc.

if anyone wants to run a smaller capacity its their choice.

Yes it is their choice a decision I made based on the original rules when the price and availability of bigbore kits was unknown with figures of £900 inc the VAT getting quoted for the kit.
I thought a cheap fun racing budget should be in the order of £2k to £2.5k as a starter class as I have run a Ducati in the SoT that sort of money.

So after reading the intended rules
(From the original rules as posted on the site 26th Oct 2004

This is a suggested rule book for a fun racing class intended to provide an inexpensive start for those who want to try their hand at racing but who want to stay loyal to Ducati when they do it. Modifications are allowed but primarily to allow older bikes to be competitive with the later versions.

Motorcycles to be based on Ducati 2 valve air cooled V-twin 600/620 built post 1992 and the maximum capacity allowed will be 675cc. )
I thought I would pay my £200 and put my name into the hat

Obviously I was very mistaken about what most consider a inexspensive start to racing.

Still I have made my decision and intend to stick with it, I was happy with my riding and the way my bike went and handled at Cadwell, if it wasn't for the brake problem I would have been the 2nd 583cc bike home and was looking at a 13th place in Race 1 lapping in the 52 second bracket and latter in the day still not trusting my brakes I was down into the 52s by the 2nd lap and I'm fairly certain if I could have done a few more laps each race I would have gone quicker.

I'm not worried about who won or who was 2nd or 3rd for that matter I was never going to be challenging them on a 583, I was just disapointed to come away with Zero points after 2 races after putting in some reasonable lap times on my budget racer.
When i'm happy that I have enough corner speed back, I'll be taking my 600 supersport machine back to Pembrey in an attempt to break my best lap time. To me its not about winning its about beating the rider I was yesterday, if I could do that every day of my life I may eventually consider myself fast, but compared to the pit crew I had yesterday I still have a fair way to go.

Although I do wonder what a 674 kit would have done for my lap times or how fast would I have lapped on a 620.
But I was still having fun apart from the crash and the two other occassions when the brake lever came back to the bars.
Roll on Combe as the 583 will be out there doing its best and hopefully this time I'll be able to stop in time before I run over all the crashers at Quarry.
Old 02-May-2005, 19:33
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Skids

Have to say well put mate!
Old 02-May-2005, 19:38
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by dickieducati
Quote:
Oh look 4 classes on one grid

Class 1:- 583cc M600 & 600SS models
Class 2:- 674cc M600 & 600SS models with a bigbore kit
Class 3:- 620cc M620, 620SS and 620 Multistrada models
Class 4:- 680cc M620, 620SS and 620 Multistrada models with a big bore kit.

except there is only 1 class in desmodue:

The motorcycle must be based on an air-cooled 2 Valve Ducati Twin cylinder produced since 1992, displacing no more than 675cc.

if anyone wants to run a smaller capacity its their choice.

Yes it is their choice a decision I made based on the original rules when the price and availability of bigbore kits was unknown with figures of £900 inc the VAT getting quoted for the kit.
I thought a cheap fun racing budget should be in the order of £2k to £2.5k as a starter class as I have run a Ducati in the SoT that sort of money.

So after reading the intended rules
(From the original rules as posted on the site 26th Oct 2004

This is a suggested rule book for a fun racing class intended to provide an inexpensive start for those who want to try their hand at racing but who want to stay loyal to Ducati when they do it. Modifications are allowed but primarily to allow older bikes to be competitive with the later versions.

Motorcycles to be based on Ducati 2 valve air cooled V-twin 600/620 built post 1992 and the maximum capacity allowed will be 675cc. )
I thought I would pay my £200 and put my name into the hat

Obviously I was very mistaken about what most consider a inexspensive start to racing.

Still I have made my decision and intend to stick with it, I was happy with my riding and the way my bike went and handled at Cadwell, if it wasn't for the brake problem I would have been the 2nd 583cc bike home and was looking at a 13th place in Race 1 lapping in the 52 second bracket and latter in the day still not trusting my brakes I was down into the 52s by the 2nd lap and I'm fairly certain if I could have done a few more laps each race I would have gone quicker.

I'm not worried about who won or who was 2nd or 3rd for that matter I was never going to be challenging them on a 583, I was just disapointed to come away with Zero points after 2 races after putting in some reasonable lap times on my budget racer.
When i'm happy that I have enough corner speed back, I'll be taking my 600 supersport machine back to Pembrey in an attempt to break my best lap time. To me its not about winning its about beating the rider I was yesterday, if I could do that every day of my life I may eventually consider myself fast, but compared to the pit crew I had yesterday I still have a fair way to go.

Although I do wonder what a 674 kit would have done for my lap times or how fast would I have lapped on a 620.
But I was still having fun apart from the crash and the two other occassions when the brake lever came back to the bars.
Roll on Combe as the 583 will be out there doing its best and hopefully this time I'll be able to stop in time before I run over all the crashers at Quarry.

Fair comments Kev, but when you've got SIX other bikes !!!! - you're gonna be on a budget aren't you?????
Old 02-May-2005, 19:45
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Only six, he isn't trying. I got caught just before lunch today, when I was getting my old Jaguar out of the garage. I had forgotten that I had 3 engines hidden over the far side of it.

This resulted in "she who is sometimes obeyed" having a look in the shed and discovering the 5 frames that I have in there; apparently I now have 17 Ducati's, lunch was very quiet!
Old 02-May-2005, 19:51
MotoGP God

Each to their own I say, we all have our own goals, mine was to put a bike on the track for less than £2k and have some fun at the same time as improving my riding. Almost there just couldn't quite keep the bike on the track.
Old 02-May-2005, 19:57
MotoGP God

He meant 6 Ducati's Chris, not counting the 2 H0nda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Kwaker, 1 Harris Magnum and the R6 Yam proddy bike that one of my Sunday pit crew took to 21st in the Junior TT in 2003.
Closed Thread