Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 09-Jul-2006, 15:53
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
Smile Grib's Oulton Park ramblings...

Get a cuppa, it's a long one again!

Oulton Park. Well that was an experience! I went there knowing I wasn't really ready for it and that I wouldn't do so well, which really isn't the right attitude to have and I guess it showed in the results.

Friday was a bit hectic. Tony had to go to an important meeting which meant being up at 6am again, so I waved him off and sat down to finish the paperwork for the week. Dad is up here again working, so sorted him out with where he was going and finished doing work stuff for about midday. Packed up all my gear, Tony loaded the bike, chucked all the caravan stuff in bags so we could pick it up en-route and we were all set. Tony went ahead to get the caravan while me and Dad went over to Cornerspeed to pick up Tim's poorly Monster from Neil. He'd got it running again, so we loaded that up and had to stop and have a cup of tea while we waited for Griff to turn up with some bits to drop back to their owners. Quick dribble on the usual trick Ducati's gracing the workshop, a swift hello and goodbye to Griff and we made our way through the traffic to Chesterfield to meet Tony. We rolled up at about 7.30pm and parked up where we used to when we went to the Derby Phoenix meets. We were near a few of the DD lot, but the crowd we know best were all down in the corner near where you line up to go out on the trackday. So, we had a bit of grub, hooked the caravan back up and moved house! As usual, we had a giggle with the DSC gang and finally went to bed at gone 11pm. Loads of the boys had their monkey bikes with them, so there was much trying of different bikes and about everyone had a whizz round on Tony's new Gorilla.

The morning was a bit grey and chilly. Managed a bit of breakfast and a tea, then the nerves were on me really early. I don't know the track, it's raining a bit, everyone's out racing in different classes for practice and I'm gonna get my arse kicked! Practice was delayed a bit due to so many crashes in the morning. I stood around in my gear waiting for the call to come over the tannoy for practice, but it never came. I only went when I noticed all the CB's were rolling back in after their session, so I was dead last onto the track. I was out in heavy traffic and struggling to make my way to the front of the pack. After two laps of following Paul Payne through them steadily we broke onto empty track. Perfect, if I can keep Paul in my sights for a lap or two I'll have a decent time. Coming round the back of the circuit and there's red flags out! Skids had gone down at the first hairpin, but looked OK and there was a white Monster down after Hizzy's chicane, so I guess they stopped it just for that. Not a problem, we've only done two laps, just line up on the grid and wait for the rest of the session. Then the flag man signals that that's it, we're going in! I've only done two laps, in traffic, that's really not good! The timing sheets are a right muddle, Paul Payne's qualified about three places behind me, right at the back of the field! The only people with a decent lap time are those that got out at the front with some clear track. ****** it, I was relying on practice to get some sense of where the track goes again.

It's ages to the race, so I get changed and watch a couple of races. Two of our mates, Simon and Pete, have come to watch, so I have a chat with them about the bike and stuff. Everything's running a bit behind, so lunch is short and we're straight out to race. Lining up on the grid, 6th row and I'm nervous as hell, breathing heavy watching the lights. The flag man walks off, red light in, I let the clutch go too much, pull it back in, then the lights out, I've made a right meal of it and everyone's swamped me. The first corner was really messy and I end up towards the outside of the pack. Try to drive hard down the hill and get to the inside for the fast left, but there's bikes everywhere. Each time it seems a bit clearer, somebody else seems to nip by and every time they do it puts me off. I just keep losing concentration and going backwards. There's a 583 up ahead that I think I can catch. Head down and I'm after him, closing up in the last lap. I make my move into the last corner of the last lap, small reward for such a rubbish race. I'm grumpy when I come in, just disappointed with myself. I sit on the bike with all my kit on trying to think about what I just did. People tell me I looked good out there, they're just trying to be nice, but I know I did bad. 13th in class.

I get changed and try to cheer up a bit, after all, this is only a bit of fun, riding bikes with my mates, isn't it? By the way I was feeling, I guess not. I manage to get over it and find out how other people have done, Phil won class B as we expected and Dom Cann ran away with the 620s in Class A. Tim got his best ever result of a third, with wife and baby Harry to cheer him on, so we were pleased to bits for him. Before the second race I joked with him that he had to try and win for Harry, wouldn't have guessed that he'd go one better and get a second place! Absolutely awesome, on a bike that was dead a week before and with no power commander to help out.

Second race time and the nerves are back, though not as strong. I've GOT to concentrate on the start, get it right and pick the places I'm going to and stick with it. We sit in the holding area for an age waiting for them to clean up the Super Karts. I'm next to Ali and Dom and we're all joking about having a sleep in the holding area as the adrenaline's dwindling after such a wait. Ali remarks how rough my bike sounds, that's why I wear ear plugs! Eventually we line up and go round on the warm up lap. On the line and I'm fixed on the lights, revs up, clutch just there and we're off! I slip the clutch too much, the bike doesn't like it and bogs a bit, but it's better than race one. I find myself in some good positions for the first few corners and this is better. I can see Antoine ahead, I aim on catching him. I keep creeping up, then he pulls a gap on me. I keep working to keep him in view, then a 620 comes by. Shortly after Zimbo nips by and makes up the gap to Antoine. I'm struggling now, turning in too early, braking too much. I see a bike to my left out of Shell on the last lap and think I'm not having that! Run right up the kerb and block the line all the way to the flag. Then number 3 comes by. He howls into the last corner and runs wide, I can see he's not making it, so turn it tight and drive by as he bounces up the grass! I was shaking my head on the way in, not because I was annoyed, but because I was laughing! Well done for holding onto it, it looked like riding a rodeo bull from where I was sitting.

That was better, I felt much happier and thought it would be a bit quicker than the morning's effort, but the times were near enough the same. The placing was better though, 11th that time. Top ten would have been nice, maybe at Donington, at least I know roughly which way that goes. I know now that I need to improve my riding and confidence with the bike to get faster, so I'll be working on that between now and the next meeting. Great rides from Dom, Tim and Phil amongst many others. Newcomer to the series Andy Sheppard rode really well too, securing third place in Class B's second race, top work guys! We had a rider on the Ducati UK bike this time, in the shape of Jamie Wilkins from Fast Bikes. He came over to talk to Dom Cann, so I grabbed a quick word with him. He seems a nice guy and thoroughly enjoyed his time in Desmo Due, so I'll look forward to reading what he writes up about it.

Today I've taken the ZX6 up to Claycross Powersports to have the speedo problem done under warranty. Just mooching round looking at the leathers when Neil from Cornerspeed and Rob come over. Had a chat with them for about half an hour, nice to see them both and Neil was suitably pleased with his rider's efforts over the weekend. Right now I'm knackered, head spinning a bit from the weekend. Think I need a little lie down and maybe some chocolate to recover! As usual, thanks to Tony and my Dad for their help over the weekend and to the usual gang for just being there, keeping me smiling and laughing and offering words of encouragement, I love you all!
Old 09-Jul-2006, 16:16
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Nice report Lu

You'll have to stop sandbagging and get that podium at Donny
Old 09-Jul-2006, 16:20
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
Quote:
Originally Posted by domski
Nice report Lu

You'll have to stop sandbagging and get that podium at Donny

That would be so sweet! Not gonna happen, but I'll keep aiming high no matter what