Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Nov-2004, 23:59
Montjuic

Bike two way radios??

I may well be getting my ST2 this weekend.. will let you know! I will then be looking to get some two way walkie-talkie radios.. any suggestions or experiences? When I did my training my instructor used the type where it only works if you speak, thus not permanently on... thus not constant load of wind noise in your earpiece. Anyone use these?
Old 04-Nov-2004, 19:16
500SD

Mood: wobbly !!!
I bought a cheap set for a trip to France with Henners.
No good at all. My advise would be by the best you can afford.
Seems those Autocom units are the best on the market.
Regards R-L
Old 04-Nov-2004, 21:08
Ducati Corse

You get what you pay for. Autocom always come out top of the magazine tests but a bike to bike set will cost about £200 per bike plus the radios. VOX is the system you are thinking about, it starts transmitting as soon as you start talking. Systems without VOX cost a bit less. Radios cost from £130 a pair for cheapies to £180 each for decent Kenwood or Motorola kit.

From experience i think that cheap kit is a waste of money. The good kit actually works!

www.autocom.co.uk
Old 04-Nov-2004, 21:24
Montjuic

yeh.. thought as much.. so those kits for £40 on ebay are probably going to be no good then?

I'm very excited about the ST2.. it looks a beauty.. if all goes well I shall get it at the weekend... and probably be in the hospital by Monday..!

Ta!
Old 04-Nov-2004, 22:08
Ducati Corse

Presumably this will be your first V twin? My first was also an ST2 and i have to say that it took me a few weeks to stop thinking that i had wasted £3500! I thought it was a horrid thing, lumpy, heavy noisy clutch, hard to ride slowly etc then after having a few long ish rides something kind of clicked and i would never go back to another kind of bike now.

What i am saying is that if initially you dont like it, give it time.

Yep the £40 ebay kits are a good way to chuck away £40!!!
Old 05-Nov-2004, 14:34

Mood: I want my 748 back
Have a look at TecStars star com-1 from starts at about £130 up to £350.

www.tecstar.co.uk
Old 10-Dec-2004, 07:34
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

I looked at the Tecstars site and was pretty impressed. I have asked them a few questions and they responded immediately (well, with a slight time lag). has anyone used them on an ST. Any mounting problems. Do you know if they can be run off the accessory plug on the side of the 2004 STs. I pick mine up tomorrow and their product does look inviting. I have 3 motorolas and if they can be used for bike to bike the star com looks even better.
Old 10-Dec-2004, 13:09
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I use Autocom stuff. Does exactly what it says on the tin, but they're pricey. You get what you pay for...
Old 25-Jan-2005, 09:57
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

Anyone using the Tecstar stuff. I was in California over Christmas and the dealer there had none in stock. So, I need to wait until May to try again, and that gives me time to hear evaluations from any users out there. Shipping to Japan is a little expensive and the stuff sold here is at least the equivalent of 600 Yankee dollars!
Old 25-Jan-2005, 12:52
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
MDB, Tecstar are in St.Ives Cambs-about 15 miles from me. If you need me to visit for you give me a shout.

John