Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 18-May-2006, 09:55
Big Twin

Mood: DD 2006: 4th Top Rookie. DD 2007: 2nd Class B. DD 2008: 2nd Class B.
new tyre

Hi everyone

I have dug real deep, and scraped enough money together to get the 70 profile front tyre in place of my 60 due to my rather large crash at assen. As the bike will not turn a wheel until cc how many laps and how hard can you push it until it’s scrubbed in. I was thinking do 3 lap then I qualified and then try and push it.

p.s. does anyone want to buy a part worn front tyre. As I now have no beer money for the weekend.
Old 18-May-2006, 10:01
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Sounds about right to me, as this is what I did at the first round at Cadwell. Maybe you can have a little ride around on it before the race ... if you put all the road kit back on that is
Old 18-May-2006, 11:20
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Give it a rub over with brake cleaner... this is best for getting the layer of 'sheen' off it....

Personally i'd take it out in a van to local industrial estate and scrub it in one evening.

3 laps is more than sufficient.
Old 18-May-2006, 11:42
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy2

3 laps is more than sufficient.

I think Ian Leah would have a very different view on that!

He put a new tyre on before the race at Assen, hoping that the warm-up lap would be enough to scrub it in. Cue huge moment 3 laps into the race when he locked the front for a good 20m directly infront of me. When we came back in he was convinced it was due to the tyre still being scrubbed in, and as he's someone that seems to make very few mistakes I'm inclined to believe him!

Those were three fast laps on a long hot circuit. You need to consider what happens if qualifying is damp/wet, but in the end it's the same decision we all have to make at some point in the season.

Good luck and go easy

Ali
Old 18-May-2006, 12:41
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Yep, we fitted a new front tyre at Assen on Saturday morning (just before the first session). I thought 2 laps would be enough, due to the length or track and the heat etc. and I think it probably was, but I still wasn't 100% confident in the tyre for the whole session - so I was mystified at being almost 2 seconds faster than anyone else

..however, I would normally (in the UK) be happy to do 2-3 laps wet or dry around Castle Combe and then start to really build my speed.

I had no slides at Assen, although my rear feels like it's on the way out - it should do, it's done everything so far + 100 road miles.

I think the tyres feel better after a heat cycle too.

If you can ride it for 10 mins anywhere (on a private road) then that will help you, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you're smooth and progressive with a new tyre, you could put it on for the race and not fall off.

You could always give your wheel/tyre to someone who's doing a trackday between now and then and ask them to do 1 session on it.

Old 18-May-2006, 13:05
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
strange i ran a 60 all last year with no issues..................
Old 18-May-2006, 13:17
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Yep, I've been running a 60 this year and didn't notice anything wrong with it.

It was running right to the edge though, so we fitted a 70 at Assen. The 70 leaves about half an inch of tread to the edge of the tyre, so maybe less chance of losing the front?

I don't think any of us are good enough to really notice the difference. I think the 70 is probably the better one, just from a physics point of view.

[Edited on 18-5-2006 by domski]
Old 18-May-2006, 13:40
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
I've been running the 60 again this year but will use a 70 for combe and donny.
I prefer the feel of the 60 turning in but think that I need to carry more midcorner speed to beat that Fil bloke......
>
>
And lose 2 stone and get fit and give up beer.
>
>
>
>
>

7th is good
Old 18-May-2006, 14:19
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Old 18-May-2006, 22:16
Mille

Thanks for the compliment Ali.

With hindsight i think main cause of the slide at Assen was the crosswind as it was only that corner that gave me trouble and it happened a number of times - but not as pant fillingly ugly as the 1st time!

But i also agree with Dom - theyre better on the second heat cycle.