Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 17-Dec-2004, 12:16
Mille

Weeksy,

perhaps I should put my comment in perspective.

MY goal for the first round of racing is as follows:

finish both races

measure myself against the competition

reflect on how the bike and I could have been better and act on it

With that in mind, as a novice and with nothing to prove I know I will be riding initially within my limits. If that puts me mid pack to start with I'll be more than happy, if I'm right at the back I know I will need to up my game as the SEASON progresses. In either case, if I reach the first corner and pole man is in the gravel I'll be smiling and I know I've gained a place. If I finish race one I will have achieved my goal with many lessons learnt I am sure.

I am not suggesting by any stretch of the imagination that Desmo Due will be a parade, but I do (and I may well change that opinion after race 1!!!) feel that racing is not all about going as hard and fast as possible. Its about going as hard and fast as necessary.

If I am on my limit and you are behind me with the ability to run at a quicker pace, its your job to pass me and my job to keep you there, I won't be pushing any harder because crashing out just to beat you is not a school of thought I subscribe too, but I will be defensive in my lines and wide of elbow. If you can't pass me, you will still be the harder, faster rider - but I'll be the better racer. (In that particular situation). (and thats "you" in third person !!)

Agree completely with you about the warmers - I'm not poo-pooing them, just attempting to get a consencus of opinion and if the majority want warmers then I'll go with that no problems. Its just that at present the majority don't want them and very soon it will be written in stone
Old 17-Dec-2004, 12:46
Mille

"we'll get DemsoJen's bloke (Lee) to talk through 'defensive' riding with you, i tried this with him into Edwinas and he used the 'block pass' and stuffed me back to 3rd Novice.."

That would be cool - any information that helps me (and maybe others) prepare myself for this new arena would be very much appreciated.

Also are there any reference books, websites on such subjects that anyone might be able to recommend? Or is it quite simply a case of head first in the deep end!!!
Old 17-Dec-2004, 16:04
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Hmmm, control tyres, no wets or warmers............

I think I'll spend the winter cornering (!) the market in SS spares...........
Old 17-Dec-2004, 21:40
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
bleedin eck, I agree with something Weeksy is saying

I like the idea of 2 warm up laps - why not put it to New Era Monty? They'll say no at first as time is really tight, but it's worth a try.

Kev, I agree absolutely with what you're saying about tyres mate, it's another way and as long as it's the rules, nobody will bat an eyelid. Thing is here, that we (you, it's nothing to do with me), have a choice - normally you wouldn't. Any moulded tyre would be a very good rule as it is with 600's, 400's etc etc. If I were racing, I'd me just as happy with that as with a control tyre. Only thing for me would be that I'd have an SC for the dry, maybe a 207rr if it was damp and wets if wet. Buying one 'all rounder' tyre to keep your costs down (a Desmo Due objective and something most seem to want to do), still means you need two sets of wheels and tyres and all the expense and hassle that goes with it - again, not knocking it, I'd personally prefer it that way, but does it fit within the spirit of what Monty is trying to do?

As for the bikes being even for 'fair' racing, I don't think they are and as in my previous posts when this started up - I still think it should have been a one make series, no mods whatsoever, but the rules are set. Will a different bike make a difference? Oh yes it will! Believe me, 1 BHP makes a difference in the CB500 class, you can just see the faster bikes pulling away from you on the straight, albeit inch by inch, it still means that you come out of the corner first and they go into the next first unless you're better on the brakes/do a decent block overtake as suggested by Weeksy.

We're all arguing over the finer points - in a few months time you'll all be on the grid and it won't matter a jot - you'll be racing and that's what it's all about, whatever the rules. Did anyone see Scratchin tonight? Is it March yet?

WeeJohnyB
Old 17-Dec-2004, 21:44
Big Twin

Yeti

Mark Wright, Holbeach Tyres 01406 426489

"tell him WeeJohnyB sent ya"

WeeJohnyB
Old 17-Dec-2004, 23:27
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Entries are obvoiously up in numbers as we have 21 people voted so far
Old 18-Dec-2004, 01:04
Big Twin

not me mate, me thinks maybe some peeps could be voting more than once - it's rigged, demand a recount

WeeJohnyB
Old 18-Dec-2004, 14:43
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
As WJB says if you choose a control tyre it has to be a deep treadd tyre ot help iin the damp/cold/wet. This is a good idea and something like the Bridgestone 090 or similar would work well. Also takes another decision out of your hands and frees up a bit of your mind to think about the race
I've spent plenty of time before a race wondering which tyres to fit and rushing around changing wheels with 2mins to go. it isn't fun so I do agree a control tyre is a very good idea as long as it's a tyre that works in all conditions
As for warmers I wouldn't outlaw them as telling someone they have to race on cold tyres is a little risky in this daft lawsuit society. I'd leave it a free choice. If you have to buy a genny and warmers they are things that can be very easily sold should you wish at the end of a year, also if you drop back to t/days they can be used to improve tyre life.

Good luck with the series it will be one I'm watching closely, at least when I'm not kicking weeksy's arse in our series
Old 18-Dec-2004, 16:47
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
If we are going down the free tyre no wets route you are still allowing "the cheque books" to run different tyre in different conditions,ie supercorsa's in the dry ,standard diablo's in the wet.
If we take the single control tyre route you will not please everyone with a particular make,but i for one would be happy to run whatever tyre is selected,we all have our favourates but we are trying to achive a level playing field and low costs.
As regards racing in the wet i think safety must be a consideration (and as somebody has already pointed out there is a cost to falling off) so i think the use of wets should be considered quite carefully.
Butch
Old 18-Dec-2004, 18:01
Mille

for my 2p i'd go for a control tyre (i don't really mind which one if all are on the same one! ... bridgestone would be fine if they came up with a good deal ... but any tyre chosen would need to perform in the wet) and no wets or warmers ... all just to keep the costs down and take away the complexities of set up for each race in the first year ... review at end of year and change if necessary for year 2.