Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 31-May-2004, 07:34
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Low speed crashes...........!
How about shiny,unscrubbed 207RR's?!?
Disc lock left on?(Not me,but another member with a shiny new 749. )
Sidestand sinking into soft ground.(Had this happen twice,not really a crash,I know)
Mrs KB,bless 'er,has had a few low speed drops.Usually down to her short legs.
Old 31-May-2004, 09:43
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by tp-996
Well, ... I've never dropped any of them then .... :P

Does that make me good?

In the mist of this hang over this morning mate, you've just made me laugh real hard when i read that.

Kermit is one, and so is miss Piggy and so are you my friend!
Old 31-May-2004, 10:32
Ducati Corse

You havent dropped your bike have you Lisa?

The only time i've dropped one ( a bike that is) is when the wind blew my old CX500 off its centre stand. Didnt even scratch it.
Old 31-May-2004, 11:06
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Wonder where this one came from KB

You should have added "who of you have been present whilst someone else dropped their bike............and carried on chatting amongst theirselves" :P

Only time I cam close was when the sidestand flicked up on me in a filling station. Sorted that little problem soonest after that.

Oh yes, stabalisers and 3 foot crash bobbins being fabricated as soon as possible
Old 31-May-2004, 11:18
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Probably about 7 or 8 times over 13 years of being a courier. Since that included over half a million miles of riding and well over a dozen bikes it's not too bad.

Only injury (other than bruising) happened when some idiot did an illegal u turn in front of a car which massively over-reacted, swerved across two lanes and clipped my front wheel. Have to say that one hurt a bit..... I s'pose landing under the handlebar of a 500lb motorcycle would though. The scar across my middle looks "cool" though (Scares kids is more like it.).....

Came off at Snetterton too but that was a case of too little horsepower combined with Japanese 600s crossed with stupidity and a unhealthy dose of testosterone. Now ride with a little note on the tank with the cost of a clutch and bodywork written on it.
Old 31-May-2004, 11:40
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Never dropped any of my previous bikes a honda hornet and a vfr400. Only ever got knocked off them by someone else.

I have had my new 748s less than a year and been dropped twice now How come I drop the most expensive bike?

Came off in the snow early in the year which was silly trying to ride in the snow Claim on insurance all put back right. but going to have to tpft this year now.

Then dropped it the other week when I stalled it
Old 31-May-2004, 13:19
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Most embarrasing one I've had was at the CSS doing level 1.

I had put a pair of pattern parts levers on just before the BHC lads went to Yorkshire. I had my warning leaving a garage, when I put the bike on full lock to trickle out of the forecourt and the bike came to a very sudden halt right in front of KeefyB...I had just discovered that the new levers would foul the fairing on full lock and jam the front brake on.

I should've done something about it then...but no!

Later that week, I'm taking my turn at the CSS quick turning drill. This is done in the car park, and consists of weaving away from the instructor and weaving back towards him, until he's satisfied that you're turning the bike quickly and your body is going with it (instead of sitting upright and just pushing the bike down into the turn). At the end of each run you do a full lock U-turn to loop around the instructor and... surprise, surprise I'm half way through the turn, nudge the bars onto full lock and BAM! The front brake grabs on and pitches me off at walking pace...right in front of all the people waiting their turn...DOH!
Old 31-May-2004, 13:37
Montjuic

Hi Lisa, I once dropped my old Bantam, from a train .....

I was unloading it from a guard’s van once when I got into a tangle with the bike and we both fell splat onto the platform - at a very busy station.

It was a long, long time ago!
Old 31-May-2004, 13:39
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by flanker

In the mist of this hang over this morning mate, you've just made me laugh real hard when i read that.

Kermit is one, and so is miss Piggy and so are you my friend!

I'm glad you enjoyed that one Flanker!

Of course we won't mention the time I grabbed too much front brake in a panic attack and lowsided myself into the gutter, then a rubbish bin, and then a rather large tree! That hurt, but nowhere near as much as the Z1000.

The Z1000 accident was something like out of Mr Bean. There were a few moments of me realising that I was not going to be able to avoid this clown and sort of bracing thinking "This is gonna hurt" and then impact. I pushed the steel tank in with my genitalia, snapped a ligament in the outside of my wrist, banged my recently operated on knee and caught my ring finger between the handle bars and the car so that I didn't superman over the car but swung around with my arm acting as a fulcrum and slapped down on the boot of the car. I was writhing around in pain clutching my nuts when I rolled off the back of the car boot - well the car was fitted with a towball wasn't it, so this completely hooked up on my ribs and turned me over into the gutter. So I now had one hand on my nuts and the other on my ribcage and was rolling around in the gutter. OUCH!

Very funny stuff.
Old 31-May-2004, 13:53
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
The only times so far (counting simple "dropped it"s as opposed to accidents/spills/slides/etc) were twice, when I was in the process of discovering how much heavier a Suzuki GT750 (my first big bike) is compared to an MZ TS125 (Lux!), my first ever bike. I managed to cushion the drop each time, with varying degrees of success (and damage to my body)

Actual spills and offs, over the course of 20 years and in excess of 100,000 motorbike miles, umm, well more than four and less than six

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit