Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 19-Apr-2004, 13:25
Big Twin

Only 5%!?!?!?!?

Not wishing to go off topic and bring up the old Contractor versus Staffie argument, I've been contracting for approx 20 years and it is probably the most satisying period of my working life.
I have never been out of work, other than by my own choice when I had a 6 month sabatical to scoot round on a 906.
As far as work experience goes...I could not have seen a more varied scope of projects as I have done, had I stayed in one consultancy.

In the end , life is what you make it. If you don't try contracting, then you'll never now how good or bad your lot could be.
Old 19-Apr-2004, 21:34
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Cheers for the replys all, as you can imagine it went down like a lead balloon. I heard on the grapevine that they are going to pay what ever it takes to keep me, but to be honest it's not all about the money anymore. I just cant be dealing with fools in management who do things all last minuite. We recently purchased another company in devon with only 40 users, but they were running 2000 SBS (fookin useless that - but was ok for what they needed). They knew about it 3 months previous yet forgot to tell me till 3 weeks before they wanted it migrating (yeah SBS !!!) with a bit of warning and not having the same ip address structure it could have been a bit easier.
Anyway i shall be eager to see what they are offering and how much work we can start to outsource from now on.

Cheers All
Old 19-Apr-2004, 22:36
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Hey crm250.

Having spent time in the Oz Army and working for 6 different private companies I've noticed that management is management wherever you go. Same as your peers, there are good people and bad people. Sorry for telling you to suck eggs as I'm sure you knew that but sometimes when you've had enough and want to leave you can't see the forest for the tree's.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

TP
Old 20-Apr-2004, 00:15
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Crm, if you do go contracting I'd suggest joining the personal contractors group (PCG). Do a websearch for their site.

I use Computer Contractor, and contractoruk.com. Having said that, after a while you may well und up picking up a set of clients that give you regular work.

So far I have yet to have a contract that is caught by IR35. If you get offered a good rate for a permie job though, and can throttle the hours back a bit, you might just get a result by the sounds of it.

Cheers,
John.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit