Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 19-Apr-2004, 10:19
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
Recommendations for Scottish roads info

I am taking my Duke in a van to Fort William and will be allowed out to play from May 15th for a few days.

I would greatly appreciate any info on your best of the best roads up there.

If anyone is up and about there too, do you fancy meetimg up?

Booked an evenings track day at Knockhill on Tuesday 18th May also.

Thanks

aws

aws
Old 19-Apr-2004, 10:26
500SD

Mood: Bonjour Bonjour we are the Billy
Hi AWS

Drop Scottch a U2U he is our illustrious leader North of the border he will see you alright with regards roads up our way.

He may be up for hooking up with you especially as Knockhill is on our door step.

Be warned though if it aint 30 degrees and like Barbados he wont be out to play cause he is a fair weather jessy!!!

I am back away to Kazakhstan on those dates with work so sadly am unable to meet up with you. Enjoy your time up in Fort William, watch out for the rozzers they are ten a penny around that way!!

Regards

ScottyB
Old 19-Apr-2004, 11:19
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Hi aws
Most of the roads up there are great.
A favourite of mine is just north of Fort William heading toward Kyle of Lochalsh,very fast sweeping bends
The road into FT from Glencoe is great too,though normally has a lot of traffic with limited visibility and overtaking spots.
Theres an amazing little road running to Newtonmore which just seems to be miles of twisty chicanes,however this has the reputation of being quite dangerous as you cant see around the bends and the road is very narrow.
The classic run to Inverness along the north side of Loch ness is a good'un.
i could go on and on......
Oh, while your there you have got to try a trip to Oban then onto lochgoilhead,turn around and then do it on the way back.
These are all fantastic bike roads and we are surely blessed,however,it has rained here for seven solid months so you'll have to trust to luck on that one.
i'm sure you'll get a couple of the guys to join you though I think I'm going to the Northwest 200 that weekend.
Enjoy!
remind us nearer the 18th and I'll see if I can make it along to watch at Knockhill.
Old 19-Apr-2004, 12:44
500SD

Mood: Is it summer yet?
Aws,

Like Dave G. (where you staying Dave?) I'll be at the NW200. I'll be home on the 16th or 17th at the latest.

Knockhill is, practically (20 mins), on my door step. I'll make every effort to meet you there on the 18th. Who are you doing the track night with? Cost? (I may even join you)

If you're up in Fort William, then you must do the road around Loch Laggan and out to Dalwhinnie (watch out for tourists - it narrows a bit, ahem understatement, at some places but loads of fun). Then I'd go down the A9 (borrrring, watch your speed) a bit and take the turn off to Aberfeldy (great wee tea shop just off the town centre) then down the Sma' Glen to Creiff (my favourite) then back up via Lochearnhead / Crianlarich / Tyndrum / Glencoe to Fort William again.

You *could* take the Corran Ferry across to the Ardnamuchan peninsula then head back via Glenuig / Lochailort (watch for sheep! and cattle grid) stop at Glenfinnan.

Belter of a trip if I do say so myself.

Get in touch nearer the time!

Also try dropping Duke of Balerno a line as he has a far superior knowledge than I of the roads up here.

Cheers!

Scott
Old 19-Apr-2004, 22:30
Mille

Mood: .
Fort William

Group of 12 of us going to Fort William in the second week of June. Weekend of the 13th/14th i think. Day to John'o'groats and a day to Skye and where ever else takes our fancy. Only two ducs and an MV in the group. The rest are all rice burners, and the token triumph.

coming up from 'the toon'.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit