Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 21-Apr-2004, 10:32
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
Points or a fine? Anyone know?

What happens if you're pulled for :

1) too small a number plate
2) non legal pipes
3) not displaying yout L plate if you're on a moped
4) not having an up to date MOT

(and others?)

aws
Old 21-Apr-2004, 10:53
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
1 £30 non endorseable fixed penalty - possibly a defect rectification notice & if you don't sort it, the DVLA may withdraw your number.

2. £30 non endorseable fixed penalty - probably a defect rectification notice too.

3. £60 & 3 points

4. Either go to court fine only or if you get stopped by an ANPR team on a check, £60 but no points.

Basically, offences involving licence, insurance, speed, traffic signs, road markings, traffic signals, tyres suspension & brakes will give you points / bans.
Most of the others involving construction & use and licensing / excise ( tax ) offences are just fines.

You didn't get all 4 did you

Cheers

Andy
Old 21-Apr-2004, 10:54
Mille

umm, my 17 yr old Nephew was recently pulled with a list longer and worse than this but as hed had no previous convictions and becuause of his age was just cautioned.
Old 21-Apr-2004, 10:58
Big Twin

VERY lucky young man, but a prat for being on the road like that in the first place!
Old 21-Apr-2004, 11:14
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Would No4 (No MOT) not also invalidate your insurance?
Old 21-Apr-2004, 11:30
Big Twin

In short, not from a Police point of view, but the company may use that lack of an MOT to refuse to pay out the full value in the event of a claim.
Bear in mind that the requirements between the rider & the Police are printed in black & white criminal law but the bit between the rider & the ins co is in that horrible grey civil law.
Old 21-Apr-2004, 11:37
Mille

You would need to get this confirmed by your insurance company but in most cases insurance companies do not refuse to meet thier third party liability if the vehicles mot has expired, the obvious exception is if an accident was caused by a mechanical defect that would have been apparent during an mot and the rider/driver can be proven to have been aware of the defect and still used the vehicle (a very difficult point to prove).
I operate a car mot testing station and one of the insane apects of mots is that the in the event of the police taking an offence of not having a mot to court (not very likely) the fines are less than the cost of a mot.
You can help by getting a valid mot at the earliest opportunity and presenting it to the police or in court to demonstrate that the vehicle was roadworthy at that date and apologise saying you did not get a reminder and had not realised it had expired

dave
Old 21-Apr-2004, 20:33
500SD

a few years ago a lady driver ploughed into the back of my van and totalled it, my insurance co sent a geezer along to assess the damage and noticed that my road tax was out of date, i received a letter a short while after from the insurance co refusing to pay out cause i had no tax and therefore should not have been on the road.....i could have had the lady driver for whiplash and allsorts but got zilch.....lesson learnt....always tax my vehicles now, on time, everytime....

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit