Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 11-May-2006, 23:06
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
ericthered40 Assen

Well that was one hell of good weekend. Thanks to Roger, Simon and Ruthie for all the help and support. I won’t go on about the trip there but let’s just say it’s flat, strait, a long way and takes 10 hours door to paddock.

Friday practise first lap ran wide in the now well known first hairpin, touched the sandy and very slippery Astroturf. Stayed on just then spent the rest of the session going faster and faster and faster and faster. Assen is just plain fast everywhere came in feeling seriously buzzed up but with a slight feeling that if the worst was to happen here it would be a major event.

Second session and more of the same but this time knowing where the track went. I ended the day feeling a little like the track was the boss though and I still do. Friday night out to a nice restaurant in Assen town, lively but after Two hours sleep the day before, setting up the tent and the two sessions - I wasn’t.

Saturday first session and things go really well I end up with a respectable time and even managed a better lap time than Dickdastedly my team mate. This despite spending most of a lap following a smoking Skippy. I have never feared for someone else’s safety as I did in those few corners. I don’t know why I was shouting for TP to stop as he obviously wasn’t going to hear me but when he eventually ignited and the marshals flagged him in for his extinguishing, I was relieved to say the least. As my lap times came down I started to find the gearing I was using was limiting me on parts of the track especially out the back on the fast right sections. I decided to stick with it for qualifying anyway and out we went. Two laps in and a missed up change? Third lap, Two missed up changes. Fourth lap seized solid in fourth gear!!!!

Pulled off on the long left hander before the start finish chicane. Watched as everyone came through, great place to watch from under different circumstances.
14th but wait, they combined the two sessions so 11th - third row result, if we can get the bike sorted anyway. Alan (AK) the star of the DD paddock when requested, strolls over with the air of a man who can sort anything and with the wave of his magic wand, we're back in the race.

Took a lovely slow walk round the track then back to the hotel for beers and a nice early night (3am after failing to break into the hotel bar after closing, locksmith my Ass?)

Race One
Over night the gearing change got the better of me so I started the race with the new settings. FLAT AS and no punch out the corners or so It felt.
Got away well but lost places steadily till the red flag. Came in to pit lane behind TP and Dean discussing TP’s overtaking manoeuvre while bits fell off his bike. (amazing TP, wild but amazing non the less).

Out for part Two and crap start, couple of scruffy laps then a 2" 13' last lap to finish. Right gearing just needed more laps to wind the bike and me up to it.

To sum up Fantastic all of it. Give me more, much more.

Joint 9th equal to GS good init.

[Edited on 13-5-2006 by Webteam]
Old 11-May-2006, 23:15
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Nice one Eric
Old 12-May-2006, 09:18
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Nice one mate

You were putting the wind up me with your pace you bugger! Playing cat and mouse through practice and qually. I was glad to finally get past you in the race!

And as for my pass on journo boy, it wasn't that extreme! It just looked like it because it was in the fastest part of the track and we were close. There was enough room, it wasn't too risky. He wasn't that quick exiting those double rights so I got a good run right up to the back of him and then just popped out quick enough to take the kink before him
Old 12-May-2006, 10:01
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
I didn't think you were enjoying yourself that much, Eric
Old 12-May-2006, 20:50
Big Twin

Mood: Feeling peckish
Just for you, Eric!

Old 12-May-2006, 22:10
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Look at the master at work there

Thanks again mate saved my weekend
Old 13-May-2006, 08:31
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
I didnt wave a wand, but a big old lever bar

just did what anyone else would do mate. Entirely my pleasure as I love getting my hands dirty whatever the time of day.

You ride, I'll try & fix 'em