Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 29-Aug-2006, 11:37
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
Hee hee,here we go again...............
Old 29-Aug-2006, 11:39
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

A few observations on the original thread - under review.

Its always difficult to gauge someones intent in a posting without the use of a smilie or some specific note.

I think the original thread would of been fine if it had simply gone along the lines of "A rider was too close behind traffic and nearly lost it" without lauching into what "looks like" an attack on Harley riders.

If its wasnt a dig at Harley riders and their lifestyle choice why were the extra comments made at the end of the thread?

Finally - the Webteam that is reviewing the post is composed of three people which includes myself, Eamonn and Mark - so a decision will be made by agreement.

Considered and respectful argument is always allowed on the board, which is why I'm pleased to see the discussion continue in that way - here.

Kind Regards - Frank
DSC Webteam
Old 29-Aug-2006, 11:45
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchcommando
If natural selection is the yardstick then say good bye to anything that isn't made in Japan.
There is a market for Harleys, they aint my thing and obviously not yours but I would have thougth the fact you ride a bike made by a small manufacturer that should also not be with us financially would make you sympathise with HD.

Having worked with the Japanese for many years in the micro-electronics business I have good experience of them and I can assure you that what you say is not the case - they are not the yardstick and they are not the best by a long chalk. No one is. They are nt particularly good engineers or designers but, they are fairly decent at mass-production.
Old 29-Aug-2006, 11:49
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
I thought as discussions go it was a valid one. As business models go Harley Ducati and now Triumph all use the same one. That is to sell an inferior product by basing the buying decision on emotion and then present you with the 'extras' catalogue.
Luckily for all 3 marques that bike buying is still an emotional thing, if we were to base it purely on figures,costs,stats etc we would all be riding Honda appliances

I completely disagree with you. The 675 and Sprint ST are arguably class leaders and not inferior products. The other Triumph products are carefully targeted at niche markets and again are arguably as good as or better than the Japanese equivalents.

Harley don't really have a Japanese equivalent- they are in a class of one. Japanese "customs" are laughably sad. They more than Triumph or Ducati sell a lifestyle.

Ducati...well they have some problems atm as they aren't attracting new customers and aren't doing a particularly good job at retaining long-terms ones like myself.
Old 29-Aug-2006, 11:54
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
The 675 is a good bike and one I would consider but the build quality is not as good as a Honda, the price is not as good as a Suzuki all arguably the same type of bike.
The Japanese have got very good at producing reliable well built bikes at a price their mass producing lets them do. I don't think it's a good thing which is why we need HD,Ducati and Triumph but if we are to buy a bike purely on performance, build quality, reliability you can't argue against a Japanese one. Yes some are as good but none are better.
Old 29-Aug-2006, 11:55
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
They are nt particularly good engineers or designers but, they are fairly decent at mass-production.

I have found the Japanese to be very good at being able to go round in circles and eventually solve a problem in an (analitical way.....oops if I got it wrong), but seem not quite to have the styling flair of other countries.
That's why the Yanks do cruisers and the Japs follow the trend. Could you imagine American Chopper coming out of Japan initially?
Old 29-Aug-2006, 12:00
Ducati Corse

Quote:
The 675 is a good bike and one I would consider but the build quality is not as good as a Honda, the price is not as good as a Suzuki all arguably the same type of bike.

It's funny when people talk of quality, they use Honda as a yardstick.
I would always put BMW first, not because I've got one, but I think they will outlast any jap product.
Old 29-Aug-2006, 13:16
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: ooooh
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff st4s
It's funny when people talk of quality, they use Honda as a yardstick.
I would always put BMW first, not because I've got one, but I think they will outlast any jap product.

You ever owned a BMW ? They are not a patch on Honda. Ask any non biased BMW owner about shaft problems, water based paints and corrosion !
Old 29-Aug-2006, 13:33
Ducati Corse

Quote:
You ever owned a BMW ? They are not a patch on Honda. Ask any non biased BMW owner about shaft problems, water based paints and corrosion !

Slight mis-understanding with my vague quote, I still have a Beemer, no problems really as of yet.
Used it to commute round M25 in all weather conditions and in winter time daily, most bikes you would see were Beemers as they will survive winter better than most.

Okay I see another sword fight coming.
My bemmers better than your Honda or it's pistols at dawn you "Cad".

Do you think there is enough smillies to stop it getting pulled?
Old 29-Aug-2006, 13:45
Big Twin

Mood: www.zeitgeistmovie.com The Truth they dont want you to know.
Here we go....No blinkered, stereotyped views here...Not half...

Where do you lot get your info, from the bloke in a car park on a sunday?

I think so....

Listen to what you are saying.

BMW`s are better built then Hondas, Triumph are as good as Hondas (well the will be soon, when they start being built in Asia)

Harley`s Dont stop , go or corner.
Ducati`s have Chinese washing machine electrics.
BMW`s are for old blokes with beards and elbow patches on their jumpers.
KTM`s explode as soon as you fire up the engine.
etc etc etc...

I`ve heard all this and more, Nothing is perfect, everything has a flaw or weakness.

But its this stupid thinking (Ducatis/hondas/kwaks/ are the best etc etc)
that shows you up and tells anyone with half a brain that you dont have a clue, you know nothing about motorcycles, you aint a real "biker" and you are nothing more then a sheep following the herd.

And its this "in" fighting that will eventually see the nanny state kill biking completly.
If we cant even stand together for a passtime that we all enjoy (be it with power ranger suits or chaps and tassles) then what chance does motorcycling have...

This sort of I`m better then them argument is just pethetic...

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit