Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Dec-2005, 00:21
Mille

Mood: Mellow Yellow
Flywheel Mod?

Anyone ever fitted a lightweight flywheel to their SS? I am thinking about getting this done next service. Would love to hear anyone's experiences? Improved acceleration and engine braking are the main benefits I understand.

Jim
Old 07-Dec-2005, 00:32
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

They can be bought in various places - I think Nichols is the manufacturer most noted for em. I've not seen a really good detailed write up on getting this done - but will have a mootch

Frank
Old 07-Dec-2005, 00:36
WSB Hero

Didnt take too long:

http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/...sFlywheel.html

Enjoy
Old 07-Dec-2005, 00:48
Mille

Cheers Frank. Will have to have a chat with Moto Rapido about getting one.

Jim
Old 07-Dec-2005, 00:56
WSB Hero

I think for better or worse, it will REALLY alter the character of a bike, especially a big twin. So it might well be worth going for a replacement item rather than getting your original lighten.

At least then you could revert back again - but would be Expensive (big E).

Interested in how you get on, cost etc.

Good luck - Frank
Old 07-Dec-2005, 01:20
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Doesn't anyone wonder why Ducati selected the flywheel weight that they did? Do you think that they meant to purposely cripple the bike's performance by using a too-heavy flywheel?

http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/vi....php?tid=13978
Old 07-Dec-2005, 02:32
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
The downside of a lightened flywheel is usually less-smooth running at lower engine speeds. Ducati probably chose the flywheel they did as the best compromise between performance and rider-friendly road performance. What is good for the track is not very often good for the road.
Old 07-Dec-2005, 04:03
Ducati Meccanica

Had one fitted to a 900 Monster - I rode it home and have to say it felt great. Quicker and more responsive. Light and easy. Low speed town riding was fine. Spin up was responsive to say the least . Huge improvement as far as I was concerned from the bike I rode down there.
Haven't found a downside to date to behonest for 'normal' ish riding plus trackdays. Was also a cheap fitment. Not overly expensive to buy and fitted as part of a full service with Aj including replacement front fork springs for less than £300 squids.
Old 07-Dec-2005, 05:31
Mille

As usual Shazaam is the guru of all things technical and a very interesting read. To me the downsides don't matter. My SS isn't for commuting, track days or racing; she is for making me smile and that's why I buy her nice things! She is an SL all bar the engine and light as you like.

I have the carbon bodywork, light forged alloy wheels, Stage 2 Dynojet, K&N filter, open airbox, custom pipework, nice cans, rearsets and tinted screen. What I fancy now is a bit more oomph, give the old girl a bit of the Red Bull treatment. I could probably do that by going on a diet but a lighter flywheel is so much easier!

Jim
Old 07-Dec-2005, 09:35
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
I've read Shazaams post on many occasions as he posts the link whenever we get this same question (which is quite a lot).

However whenever this come up the overwhelming majority of people who post about it (which obviously isn't the same as people who have a lightweight flywheel) have nothing but good things to say about getting it done....

My experience on my SL is also positive. The only downfall about riding it is the engine feels a bit lumpy(er) until warm (which Shazaam mentions). When cold its more prone to stalling but after 10 minutes or so it's great and would be the second thing (after lowering the gearing) I'd do to another SS/SL.

For reference I have a FbF flywheel fitted which is a bit heavier than the Nichols one.

And yes I'd like a set of lightweight wheels too but £1000 or £100....