Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 21-Jun-2006, 20:01
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Angry M620Sie Swingarm removal

Oh what a fun job it is
Removing the swingarm from the rear of the engine.
Firstly I didn't know that the pinch bolts were actually cotter-pins, similar design to those used for fixing the pedal cranks on push bikes, and as such why the hell do Ducati put a Allen bolt recess in the top of them.
After removing the 10mm Hex nuts from the underside of the swingarm, I gave the bolts a little tap as they didn't budge I assumed they were threaded and the nut already removed acted as a lock nut. WRONG, bad assumption that as I broke a decent 1/2 drive Allen key trying to undo them.
After a call to AK and bouncing ideas off him we came to the conclusion that they must have a flat on them and would need knocking out. This turned out to be the right method just needed a good knock with a 2LB hammer.
With these cotter-pins out I then proceeded to remove the circlips from the end of the swingarm pivot shaft.
Now the next fun and games have started, trying to remove the pivot shaft from the swingarm.
It didn't want to knock out with a drift and the 2LB hammer even after a good soaking with easing fluid.
I have now resorted to using a draw bar, actually I'm now on my second one after stripping the threads on the first.
While I'm typing this it is sat under a fair bit of pressure while having been dosed in easing fluid yet again.

This is a 4 year old bike and does make me wonder if Ducati have ever thought of using something like copper-slip at the assembly stage

Oh well back to work as I want to try and seperate the engine from the swing arm by the end of the evening

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook