Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Nov-2004, 21:09
Mille

Mood: Mellow Yellow
Petrol Everywhere!!!

I am confused. I took my tank off last week as I was replacing my coolant tank. Found I needed to replace the mounting pins for the atmospheric pressure sensor so left the tank off. When I cleared up I put it safely upside down in the shed, no naked flames or sparks in there. Went in there tonight and petrol is everywhere and has soaked the underlay I placed the tank on. I don't understand how the petrol got out because it has defied gravity and came out of one of the outlets or something. Any one know why this has happened? The only idea I have is evaporation and condensing but I find that hard to believe.
Old 12-Nov-2004, 21:11
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
did you say upside-down
Old 12-Nov-2004, 21:12
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
err
filler cap
Old 12-Nov-2004, 21:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
You want to have a rethink of doing your own maintenace.

Filler caps are vented, so when you turn them upside down they...well you know the rest. Good one this!
Old 12-Nov-2004, 21:25
Ducati Meccanica

[quote]Originally posted by jim flynn Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol

were you drinking at the time ?

[Edited on 12-11-2004 by keefer]
Old 12-Nov-2004, 22:45
Mille

Your supposed to lay your tank down upside down when you take it off. Thats what it says in the Haynes manual and thats what I have seen happen in Ducati workshops. A leak from the filler cap won't explain how petrol can pool on top of the inverted tank. Any CONSTRUCTIVE advice?
Old 12-Nov-2004, 23:08
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Jim, take no notice of the Haynes manuel. I recentley took my tank off also to get the fuel pum pout. I didn't turn it upside down, but placed it on one end. There was enough fuel in the tank so that it started to weep out through the fuel cap. The only reason I can think of regarding fuel pooling in the recess, is through the overflow / breather pipe.

The tank has to be vented so that when the fuel level falls air is drawn in to replace it. If this is not allowed to happen. Your fuel tank will collapse inwards.

With the tank being upside down, I think the breather pipe could have pushed fuel out under pressure. I think, but don't tke my word for it. Fumes from the petrol or even the volume of petrol expanding due to heat, could of pressurised the tank and pushed it out through the breather pipe.
Old 12-Nov-2004, 23:25
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Sorry, Jim, I didn't really mean to take the ****, but it was funny when I read your post.
Old 13-Nov-2004, 11:23
Ducati Meccanica

well if they get put upside down with fuel in them they will leak as you now know.
how's this for constructive. Put it upside down and it will leak
leave it the right way up and it wont
Old 13-Nov-2004, 14:10
Mille

Thanks Jon it does look like pressure forced petrol up through the breather pipe. Still don't see how the pressure built up though. Maybe evaporated fuel with nowhere to go increased the pressure in the tank. Have turned the tank right way round now and got covered in a spurt of petrol, though that appears to be all that is coming out now. The petrol cap only seems to be seeping a tiny bit. Just enough to leave a damp ring on a sheet of newspaper so that can't be the cause of a petrol soaked shed floor.

I am annoyed with Haynes for crap advice and intend to tell them so. Just hope the shed doesn't burn down in the meantime.