Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Oct-2009, 16:30
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconmaker72
I don't give a monkey's ball bag what rule changes come out as long it doesn't hit my wallet, .

Scott my prefernce would be for people to wheel their bikes out next season as they finished this. With Gray areas of the rule book cleared up or eliminated. Also for rules outside the control of the DSC such as Exhaust noise levels or race number sizes removed from the DD rules so we don't have to wait on the ACU before issuing the 2010 rules

Then its up to individuals how much they want to spend on their bikes over the winter, some would go for a complete refresh by a dealer, others just an oil and filter change

But there is still 16 days left to submit suggestions for consideration

Many are of the opinion if it isn't broke don't fix it, so all suggestions may already have been submitted, with a fair few happy with the rules as they are

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 15-Oct-2009, 16:35
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
I don't give a monkey's ball bag what rule changes come out as long it doesn't hit my wallet, if Maxxis want to offer budget tyres and they're safe then why not let them? There are 2 tyre manufacturers in F1 and it's a battle betwen them, Otei has offered to test Maxxis out so why not let him? I'd rather take the word from a good fellow racer who'll be looking after his own arse than a marketing guy who wants to get his company noticed. If we do then change to Maxxis let those who has forked out on Pirellis (like yours truly) run them till they're done and then change. After all isn't this meant to be a way to get people racing as cheaply (not forgetting safely) as possible?
I agree with Nog about the **** taking as this is people's racing next year we're ranting about, but as long as this thread is banter and the serious stuff is discussed through the proper channels then let's extract some more urine in good humour. As for those who just talk a good race, get of your arse and show us instead.

I hate to correct you but Bridgestone are the only tyre supplier in F1, so no there isn't any competition! Funny that this means that they have a mandated control tyre by the ruling body.

There is absolutely nothing to stop anyone testing what ever tyres they wish outside of a Desmo Due race - the series rules do not apply.

As has been posted elsewhere, the Race Committee are in the process of reviewing the 2010 rules at this time, suggestions are being reviewed in turn as they are received. Now it is expected that the revised rules may well be ready round the end of this month, which gives everyone something like 5 months before the start of the 2010 season to get their machines ready.
Old 15-Oct-2009, 16:37
500SD

Well said Scott

I did notice the **** takers haven't been seen on the grid ?

Yes Agree Thanks to Nog who is only trying to help and get a
good deal for the RIDERS.
Ask Sam West about the tyres

But I have a feeling we will be on H rated diablos at £200 a pair.

It looks like Nog has been made out to look the Bad Boy but all
cast back a year
Old 15-Oct-2009, 16:59
Bevel Head

Hi there!

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here, but I LOVE PIRELLI!

They warm up super-quick so when the weather's half decent, you can totally cane it from lap one. Who needs warmers? There'd be all that rushing to the holding area at the very last minute instead of the current race to get there half hour before the first call-out to be first out on track and avoid all the traffic. My fastest race lap at Castle Combe was on about lap two, on tyres that had already done Oulton and Cadwell!

Which brings me to another point... They last ages. And when you do have to finally buy a new set, they're cheap as chips compared to the price of today's tyres!

The road-tyre tread and compound means they're good in the damp or wet. It'd be the worst thing ever to introduce wets in the series - I can't even make up my mind on what shoes to bring at a race meeting, let alone what tyre to go for in dubious conditions. I always feel so sorry for those peeps who have to make last-minute decisions! If I were on my own at a race meeting, like at Donington race two this year, it'd be a disaster! Plus I'd rather save my spare rear wheel for older scrubs to use for track day practice so I don't waste my best rear tyre. And wets would be no more safer - people would simply go faster and crash more. At the moment there seems to be more crashes in DD when the weather's lovely as people are less cautious and go MENTAL! Like Tim :-)

Letter notwithstanding, the Pirellis are tried and tested in the series. Riders put in super-fast laptimes using them with no complaints.

In my opinion, PIRELLI DIABLOS ROCK! And I seriously doubt any of us would really notice the subtle difference between H and ZR rated on a DD bike. I'd be disappointed if I were to do the championship next year (not sure at mo) and Pirellis weren't used anymore.

Oh, and I'm not sponsored by Pirelli, ask Holbeach! I bought all my tyres from them this year, except one set kindly donated to me by FWR Tyres. Who like Holbeach get them directly from Pirelli...

Still, it's good to look at other tyres and deals at the end of the season. It'd certainly be cool to get hold of Rossos. But I don't think it's worth going all handbags at dawn about it.
Old 15-Oct-2009, 17:05
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBushell
I hate to correct you but Bridgestone are the only tyre supplier in F1, so no there isn't any competition! Funny that this means that they have a mandated control tyre by the ruling body.

Apologies, I stand corrected, was it the previous year I'm referring to?

I'm in favour of control tyres, just let people make the transition (should it go ahead) as and when they change their rubber. I'm in agreement with you there Miss R, I like Pirelli too, all my road bikes have had them on but are they becoming a bit rare and expensive? We've got to keep control tyres or like you said it'd be manic in the paddock 10 mins before a race in dodgy conditions. I was with no22er at our first Cadwell meet and he changed twice in 20 mins, ended up going out on wets, came in a season's worst at 11th and ruined £270 worth of tyre because it dried out. It did make me smile though as my only concern was do I have a tea or coffee as he struggled juggling his wheels.

Not broke so don't fix, I'd go for that too.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50

Last edited by badgerpilot : 15-Oct-2009 at 17:21.
Old 15-Oct-2009, 17:38
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Apologies, I stand corrected, was it the previous year I'm referring to?

I'm in favour of control tyres, just let people make the transition (should it go ahead) as and when they change their rubber. I'm in agreement with you there Miss R, I like Pirelli too, all my road bikes have had them on but are they becoming a bit rare and expensive? We've got to keep control tyres or like you said it'd be manic in the paddock 10 mins before a race in dodgy conditions. I was with no22er at our first Cadwell meet and he changed twice in 20 mins, ended up going out on wets, came in a season's worst at 11th and ruined £270 worth of tyre because it dried out. It did make me smile though as my only concern was do I have a tea or coffee as he struggled juggling his wheels.

Not broke so don't fix, I'd go for that too.

Scott,

You may well be right about F1, I cant remember when Michelin pulled out now.

The majority of riders would appear to have the greatest of respect for Diablo's and as Harriet has pointed out they do work in all conditions. I suppose the main thing is that after 5 years the riders know they can trust them.

Regardless of what the decision on tyres is, Pirelli have been asked to confirm that supplies of Diablos will be available (or not) in 2010.

In terms of not broke dont fix it - that is an option - but it is one of many. As I have already posted the questions are being asked, people will respond and then an informed decision can be made.
Old 15-Oct-2009, 17:44
Mille

Mood: elated
sam's test

i believe sam west the class b champ has already tested the maxxis?
Old 15-Oct-2009, 17:56
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco572

Yes, I won both races that day :-)
Old 15-Oct-2009, 18:01
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco572

Where did he hit the tyre wall?

Ray
Old 15-Oct-2009, 19:09
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620

Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids

Removal of the wording to do with ignition timing to allow it to be altered
Change wording to cleary ban any use of devices that change ignition timing

Confused here, I can move my pickup cradle along its slots to give me 10°+ the ignition ignitor boxes will therefore give that 3 to 4° extra advance. These are devices and change the ignition.

If one is using silly advance figures on std fuel we will be seeing a lot of holed pistons and a lot of tinkling noises on the straights.

Or we could just make things a lot more complicated.