Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Apr-2005, 20:23
Big Twin

Front wheel bearings?

Felt an unpleasant rhythmic thump through the handlebars on the way home tonight. One of those things that, when you think about it, you've probably detected for a while, but because the deterioration is gradual, you don't notice it too much.

No ignoring it now, though. In fact, I jumped off the bike in Bristol city centre cos I thought it felt like a front wheel puncture. Kicked the tyre, and it was OK.
I haven't got a front paddock stand, so it's hard to investigate further. Wheel turns from lock to lock OK, and the thumping (felt, but not heard) is there when in a stright line, so I'm fairly sure it's not the head bearings.

These things always happen when louigi's on holiday!

I'll probably end up trying to limp it into Bristol tomorrow, and see if Riders (Ducati Bristol) or some other place can sort me out. It's not such a big job, after all, and I've even got a set of bearings on the shelf here.

Well, checking my records, I bought a pair of bearings in July 2003. Mileage then as about 24000m. Mileage now is about 43000m, so 19000 miles ago. Plausible, I guess.

Anything I'm missing here? Anything else it could be? How long would you give it before they seize up completely?
Old 13-Apr-2005, 10:16
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Fed up...
Have you tried clamping the front wheel between your legs the try moving the handle bars from left to right to see if there is any play, also grab the wheel and see if it moves back and forward?

If you have already done this sorry don't mean to teach to suck eggs.

Possibly warped disks!!!!
Old 13-Apr-2005, 10:20
GTL

What Dave said...
If it is the front bearings the thumping should noticeably increase when you brake. Best to get it seen to as soon as poss. because if you don't have warped discs you soon will have.
Outside chance it may be the rear bearing.