Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 01-Apr-2005, 01:40
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Theoretical engine improvement???

I've now fitted two big bore kits and one thing i've noticed is that the RAM pistons that are supplied with the kits have no specifice valve cutouts.
Instead there is a central dome with a "trough" affair running around the crown. This trough provides the valve clearance, and means there is no specific orientation of the piston required in the bore or in relation to the heads.

I have been thinking that if the pistons were turned 180 degrees and the engine forced to run backwards the firing sequence of the motor would be altered and therefore possibly a "big bang" effect could be created??
There doesn't seem to be anything in the rules that would outlaw this and whilst bhp may not increase significantly, the torque and the way it is produced could give the bikes some serious drive and tractability out of the corners.
Whether the natural balance of the motor would be improved to enable a higher rev limit to be used remains to be seen but it could be a by product of the work.

The timing and pickup positions may need some work and possibly the carbs may need turning upside down for this to work effectively but neither task would be too difficult.

If there's any Desmo Due, or 600 owners out there who fancy trying this, please mail me. It could be done on other bikes to but it'd mean getting pistons made or machines to replicate the RAm pistons supplied with the big bore kits.
It'll need to be before noon on Friday as i'm out of the workshop after that.
Old 01-Apr-2005, 01:52
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

This seems very interesting, I'm sure someone researching in DD development like Ali or Chi would be up for it!

Would it work equally as well for a 900ss I wonder?

Cheers - Frank

[Edited on 1-4-2005 by Iconic944ss]
Old 01-Apr-2005, 04:07
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Rotax uses a similar arrangement for their air-cooled aircraft engines. They obtain in excess of 150hp/liter displacement as I recall. You'll need to reverse the stator and ignition modules though.

Old 01-Apr-2005, 07:50
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Nice one Nelly!

Although it was'nt quite the first when you posted!
Ooops,I forgot about the board BST time lag!

[Edited on 1-4-2005 by KeefyB]
Old 01-Apr-2005, 09:02
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
nearly had me Nelly!

Saw your first post before I set off for work.

Have you ever spoken to a bunch of brainy people who's responses go so far over your head that the only thing you can do is nod sagely and look thoughtful? That was me at 6:45 this morning...
Old 01-Apr-2005, 09:04
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
ps please feel free to do this to my bike. I will be very disappointed if it's not producing 90bhp in reverse gear.
Old 01-Apr-2005, 09:36
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Old 01-Apr-2005, 10:25
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Hmmmm, 5/6 reverse gears eh Nelly-that should confuse them on the line at Cadwell-not sure I fancy trying to ride backwards though.............

John
Old 01-Apr-2005, 10:30
DaveB916

Hi Nelly,

Sounds good but I see a few flaws in your plans, firstly you will need to turn the rear sprocket around to compensate for the engine running backwards and the ignition timing would need to be set in the Southern Hemisphere.

Secondly you will need to 'up' the tyre pressures to keep the fuel in the float bowls, not ideal for the track as most people would like to drop the pressures a little?

However to compensate for the increase in tyre pressures simply ride the bike backwards i.e. the rear wheel leading, this would also make rear wheel steering on the track a lot easier for us mere mortals.

Nice thought though.

Now where is my bike off to for its next service........................................... ................
Old 01-Apr-2005, 10:35
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveB916

Now where is my bike off to for its next service........................................... ................

Cornerspeed if you have any sense ....

And Nelly, thats quite funny for a northerner .......

Although I'm still trying to work out if Shazzams response was serious or whether he is a yank with a sense of humour ???