Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Jul-2004, 18:16
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Clutch opinon needed

Hello

Over the last couple of months I have noticed that I am not getting that Ducati/Termi's sound,
more so my engine/cluth is taking over or at least it feels like that while riding along.
More noise from the engine than the thumping from the pipes.

Sorry I am talking about 2001yrs engine 748bp with 7000 miles

So this is where I need an opion, as I have taken the clutch cover off and this is what I found
see. 2001.jpg

then I took the cover off my old engine see. 1997.jpg

As this is my first look under the cover I was very supprised to find the difference in the two pictures.

Should I be? I have noticed that there is more movement in the 2001yr clutch, (if I try and move the clutch basket by hand, than the older engine.)

I guess my next task is to take the plates out and check/measure or possibly replace.

If so what sort of ball park figure am I looking at?

Any pointers would be great.

regards

TopiToo

[Edited on 15-07-1968 by TopiToo]
Old 04-Jul-2004, 18:17
Ducati Meccanica

2001yrs engine
Old 04-Jul-2004, 18:18
Ducati Meccanica

1997year engine
Old 04-Jul-2004, 18:40
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The noise will certainly be the rattle from the plates in the basket. The tolerance on the "tang to basket" is 1.7mm, and although it'll work long after that, the noise is the result.
The wear can take place in two places. The tangs themselves get peened over and the basket gets grooved, where the plates hit.
If the basket is OK(ish), then you can replace just the plates, but you will be lucky to get the "as new" fit, so the noise will still be there, albeit not as loud, and the wear to the plates will be accelerated due to the already increased gap between tangs and basket.
To be honest though, I've seen far worse than either of your two pictures. OLD YELLA springs to mind
Your options..............
Replace with OE parts. Probably the cheapest. £170 ish

Replace with OE parts but use the ST4S parts. Alloy basket and plates. A little more expensive, but seem to wear better and are quieter. £190 ish

Replace with aftermarket product. Alloy basket and performance plates. as above on the quietness, but with the added benefit of 9 friction plates. This'll give 4 extra friction faces to drive off. Quality will also be better. £250+
Replace with STM 48T basket and plates. A lot quieter and because of the 48T then wear and longevity are increased. There's effectively 4 times the drive area between the plates and the basket. Quality is second to none. £250 (at the moment)

Also check the centre drum for wear where the plain plates drive off.
Old 04-Jul-2004, 21:56
Bevel Head

Hi, The rattle is most certain to be your plates against basket. I removed my closed clutch cover and replaced with open type and the same result.

regarding what is the correct pack depth, so far I have not found anyone who can answer that one because its a mater of choice. people run different types of plates and different setups. I have had a few weeks of trying to setup a slipper clutch and can say I have tried all possible combinations.

My advise is as most if you need to replace plates and basket purchase alluminium type, but make sure the basket has the hardned coating.

As regarding the pack depth, my Ducati came from the main dealer and when removing the pack I noticed this didn't match the Haynes manual. But due to fitting a slipper the setup is different. If it is a standard clutch the pack will start with a plain plate. The thickness of the pack, well start so that the bike(without engine running) will just move even in gear and the clutch released. This is a good starting point as the clutch is just slipping, then you can swapp one of the spacers with a slightly thicker one and the clutch should hold and the bike stop dead. Go out and try it, just don't get pack to thick always go for less pressure as possible without slip.

Alot of people posting seam to pass information on but not really explain the engineering behind things.

I have found a lot out by trial and error but coming from an engineering background I can explain and understand whats happening. Hope this is of help.
Old 05-Jul-2004, 09:45
Ducati Corse

Standard clutch set up is two plain plates (or driven plates) then alternate friction and driven plates finishing with a driven plate. I'm running alloy plates in a steel basket. Very little noise and after about 10,000 miles there is hardly any wear on the tangs.
Old 05-Jul-2004, 14:25
Big Twin

I was told you can't still get the ST4S plates; that they'd stopped doing them.

Have i been mis-informed?
Old 05-Jul-2004, 16:53
Ducati Corse

I bought my set about a 18 months ago direct from JHP. The Ducati parts manuals on their web site still list them but i guess that doesnt mean a lot with those Italians!
Old 05-Jul-2004, 21:12
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
TopiToo couldn't help notice that you have taken all the bolts out of the clutch housing to remove the cover. You only need to remove three bolts my old china.

Cmoss, just go for the 4-5mm from last plate to face of hub for correct pack thickness guide.
Old 05-Jul-2004, 23:55
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
This is my clutchy thing and its a nasty grabby thing indeed, I hate it!