Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 03-Sep-2004, 10:49
500SD

!!!UPDATED!!! Daylight MOT and lighting regs - Read this!!!

Following on from the recent thread re daylight MOT and lighting regulations I've done a bit of net trawling and found the original documentation.

For the definitive answers please read this: The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations - 1989

Takes a bit of reading but it's all there. Andy (Rushjob) has been absolutely spot-on with his previous posts on the subject.

As has been previously discussed (at length!) a daylight only MOT means nothing from a legal standpoint as the bike would be in contravention of "The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations - 1989".

Hope this will help dispel all the myths surrounding this subject.

Cheers, Neil.

[Edited on 3-9-2004 by neil748r]
Old 03-Sep-2004, 12:00
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Well I have had a quick look and didn't make much sense of it. Will have another look later when I have more time, but can iask anyone who has read it in detail to tell me if I am legal or not?

I ride my bike with track bodywork on and as such have no headlights or front indicators. I have rear/brake lights and although I have indicators on the back they are not connected. I only ever ride in daylight and bike is new enugh not to need an MOT as yet.

Am I riding illegally?
Old 03-Sep-2004, 12:07
Ducati in my Blood

ok, apart from speeding, dodgy overtaking, black visor, illegal cans... am I illegal
Old 03-Sep-2004, 12:09
Mille

Lily

Haven't read this but as you have indicators that do not work you are definately not legal.
Old 03-Sep-2004, 12:09
500SD

Totally illegal Lil!

Basically, all the lighting equipment as fitted to the bike when it left the factory needs to be on there. This includes the reflector on the back.

Having said that, you can swap all the stock stuff for aftermarket components as long as said components are "E" marked.

[Edited on 3-9-2004 by neil748r]
Old 03-Sep-2004, 12:11
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
just to stoke up the fire then.
Good thread look at part 1 section 4 Exemptions Genral. Then part 3 paragraph a.
Ps some said that a MOT is not worth the paper its written on then why do the police give out vehicle rectification notices.
Old 03-Sep-2004, 12:12
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
Basicaly, having a valid MOT doesn't make the bike 100% road legal.
Old 03-Sep-2004, 12:25
500SD

Keefer, good point!

I would suspect that that may only apply to vehicles that were not originally manufactured with the required lighting, not for a vehicle that has had its factory fitted lighting removed.

Doesn't make it clear though and would require some further clarification.
Old 03-Sep-2004, 13:17
500SD

I've just got off the phone with the Department of Transport and will shortly have some very interesting news to report.

They are prepared to answer my questions in writing (email) and as soon as I have their response I will of course post it here.

It should definitely be worth the wait!!!

Cheers, Neil.
Old 03-Sep-2004, 16:50
Ducati in my Blood

ok, from another brief look it would appear that I should also have hazard lights ??

Or am I just interpreting this all wrong?

I can connect the indicators up, but as I have a very bad habit of not using them anyway i tend to leave them as the number plate goes on and off weekly!

I have ridden like this for two years now and although I sometimes get some odd look I have never been stopped or questioned about the bike, even riding in the police hotspot of North Wales on a regular basis.

Maybe there are some benefits to being a bird after all

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit