Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Dec-2005, 09:39
RCA

Buyer: Hi I've got a Ducati, and need some new discs.

Seller: Wow, you must really love your bikes. Bet that was expensive.

Buyer: Yeah it was, I love it, its my pride and joy.

Seller: Bikes are pretty dangerous are'nt they?

Buyer: Well they can be but as long as you look after your brakes, have a good quality tested branded braking system and quality tyres, like the pros use, I mean money is not really an issue, we are talking life and death situation, anyway I notice you are selling some brake discs on Ebay.

Seller: Yeah, don't know nothing about them actually, ...but there yours for a super discount rate if you want a pair? The finish is questionble, but whats the worst that can happen?

Buyer: Yeah suppose your right, allthough all the rest of the kit on the bike is quality, but then Iam saving a full massive £100. I could just wait and save, maybe stay in a couple of weekends, but nah, these will do.

Ebay: Great, whats your card number. Oh by the way I also have some tyres as well if your interested? Not sure where there from either, unbranded, treads abit odd, but they look ok....
Old 13-Dec-2005, 14:19
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
is it a case of these discs being cheep or named brands just being over priced.
you can pick up car discs for much less than general bike discs and they have to work allot harder with the weight and size issue.
I don't think they look to bad. if you want some get em if you don't, well keep your head up your arse. Big deal
Old 13-Dec-2005, 16:03
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Also playing devil's advocate, I wouldn't expect the grease monkey at my local bike shop to know the exact grade of steel used in the outers as much as the grade of alloy use in the centres either. This guy obviously sells brake discs and sells lots of them, and does he really need to know the composition? You should try phoning your local bike dealer, ask the same questions and see what response you get - they'll only read it out of the product brochure!
Old 13-Dec-2005, 17:35
Mille

metals are keepet a trade secret, it stops otheres copying,
Old 13-Dec-2005, 23:36
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
Also playing devil's advocate, I wouldn't expect the grease monkey at my local bike shop to know the exact grade of steel used in the outers as much as the grade of alloy use in the centres either. This guy obviously sells brake discs and sells lots of them, and does he really need to know the composition? You should try phoning your local bike dealer, ask the same questions and see what response you get - they'll only read it out of the product brochure!

cheers antonye, that was my point much earlier on. think its worth a shot when i can afford them.

keefer, well said, think it is down to a brand/ non branded product arguement again.
Old 15-Dec-2005, 19:29

further communication with the seller gave an admittance that the rotors are semi-floating units and not full floaters as advertized in the auctions He has promised to revise his future auctions to be more accurate

hope this is adittional helpful info to the group here
Old 16-Dec-2005, 20:24
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
whats the performance difference between full floating and semi floating disks???
Old 17-Dec-2005, 12:59

As stated in another post ive stated dont skimp i did and would never do it again and this is from experience go for the EBC ones look on there site for where to get the good deals, this is a critical part

thanks
Old 29-Dec-2005, 10:36
Ducati Meccanica

anyone got any more feedback on these disks yet, now xmas is out the way i may be able to afford a set
Old 09-Jan-2006, 21:41
Ducati Meccanica

i have just received a email from a guy who saw i was bidding on some ducati disks on ebay and this is what he has said.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your e mail and questions, and dont worry, you are not being a pain in asking the questions, as I did too, as I wouldnt risk my life either.I have used the discs over 7000 miles and 5 trackdays at Snetterton, which requires some seriously heavy braking, on my Aprilia RSV-R Factory. The discs are made by an ISO 9001 certified Engineering company, using the latest laser cutting technology to produce the discs, and they are an OE manufacturer to Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha, and supply MAINLY to the commuter market, and are therefore obviously in the Far East. We have researched the market for over a year to provide them with all the information necessary to enable them to manufacture the discs. The braking surface is manufactured from a high carbon stainless steel, designed to cope with temperatures in excess of 600'C. The carrier is manufactured from a high strength aluminium alloy. The discs are fully floating, are 5mm thick (an increase to 6mm results in a 25% weight increase with no performance gain), I PERSONALLY have tested them with Bendix, Brembo and EBC pads, and all are suitable. We offer a 12 month warranty against faulty or defective parts/workmanship. We are only just ready now to begin to roll out the launch, they are at MCN's photo studio next wednesday ready to appear in their 'New ProductsReview' section, so things are still being prepared. The carriers are anodised gold as std, as we felt that they look similar to the Brembo originals. I attach a picture of the 320FC, which is the type required for most Ducatis and Aprilias, but I will need your precise model in order to ensure that you get the correct discs. The first consignment is at sea at present, so we'd ask you to allow 28 days delivery....
I hope that answers all your questions Dave, but please feel free to get back to me with any other queries. The RRP is £275 per pair including VAT, + postage. I look forward to hearing from you.
David

i am currently trying to negoiate a dsc discount with him, please let me know if your interested,thoughts on the product or if im wasting my time

i do have a photo of the discs separately but cant upload it onto here for some reason

cheers

deej

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by deej]

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by deej]